FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jailbreak 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EuropeGBR395 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EuropeGBR395 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jailbreak 2013
    Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 4:18pm
Not sure where to post this but...

You may have heard of Jailbreak, if not here's what it's all about. It's a University challenge where you have to get as far away from your University as possible in 24 hours FOR FREE. I am currently at Newport University in Wales. 

Myself and a friend are planning on hitchhiking down to Plymouth/Portsmouth/Southampton and then borrowing a two person dinghy and seeing how far we can sail from there. 

Has anything been done like this before? Is it possible??

Any thoughts on the matter would be fantastic!
Max McCarthy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Max McCarthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 4:37pm
Sorry, no thought on the matter, from me, but it sounds like really good fun, and very exciting, I wish you all the best with it.

Max
Vintage skol moth 3438
Mister Nick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mister Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 4:45pm
I've never done it but I've heard some great stories from people who have done similar things. I read about someone who managed to get from the outskirts of London to France with no money at all. No idea how he managed it but it's impressive. Good luck with your attempt, it's a really good plan. I think a dinghy is a pretty fail safe way of doing it, once you've got to the place you're going to sail from then the rest should be pretty easy. Good luck! :)
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 4:58pm
If you can, borrow a fast Cat of some kind, or you won't get far in 24 hours...

Never done it as a contest, but have hitched from Bristol to Paris with no money - more difficult now, I think, as lorry drivers are more wary of taking passengers.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
r2d2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote r2d2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 7:00pm
I ran a Jailbreak from Nottingham Uni once and we raised over £3500 (which was quite a lot in 1984) and it was a lot of fun.  The best one team did was to get to Plymouth and back in about 12 hours (they hitched with  some gut in a Porche).  Good luck with the dinghy angle though - just dont get into needing to be rescued 
Caveman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Caveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 11:54pm
With a typical speed of five miles an hour  -  sailing a borrowed two man dinghy in the Channel in November to see how far you can get looks like a very slow and  risky option. If you have to do some sailing why not see if if you can  persuade someone with a yacht on the Solent to take you to France - or even better - the West Indies? Well you never know!
Enthusiasm>Skill
MattK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MattK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 12 at 12:45am
Pre planning is against jailbreak rules, so you would have to convince someone to lend you a boat on the spot, with the intention of going as far away from them as possible..
 Post Reply Post Reply