Forum Discription: The top end racing in our sport
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7822
Printed Date: 16 Apr 24 at 2:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which boat as women's skiff?
Posted By: Mark Jardine
Subject: Which boat as women's skiff?
Date Posted: 07 May 11 at 5:13pm
Now the decision has been made that there's going to be a women's skiff in the 2016 Olympics, what boat do you think should be used?

Sorry I messed this up first time by putting 29erxx in the question box instead of a poll answer! Embarrassed

Replies:
Posted By: Skiffman
Date Posted: 07 May 11 at 5:23pm
Going to be an interesting evaluation, I know theres a few more skiffs yet to come out. 

Only problem is that the girls will be faster than the men, well thats the rumors of a few of the classes...

-------------
49er GBR5

http://www.teamfletcherandsign.co.uk - teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 07 May 11 at 7:24pm
Just a thought that has occured to me, how would a downgraded 49er go compared to an uprated 29er? ie Put a smaller rig on a 49er to tune it for a lighter crew weight. Would potentially have the advantage of all the 49er hulls in circulation.

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 07 May 11 at 8:11pm
It would certainly fit the Laser/Radial way of thinking, but would (like the radial) be a bit of a bodge. The hull would still be as big and heavy, but the people on it smaller.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 07 May 11 at 8:32pm
it would be as much of a bodge as the XX is.

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: Menace
Date Posted: 07 May 11 at 9:38pm
There was a sport's rig for the 49er once upon a time..... Didn't really take off.

Wouldn't hold my breath on the "our boat will be faster than a 49er" rumours. The I-14 and Cherub boys have been up to that one for years, don't think they're close. As much as people want to argue it, length has a lot to do with it, even when planing.

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 07 May 11 at 9:49pm
It was the length I was thinking of, try and avoid t-foils and nosediveyness.

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Posted By: Foiling_Toff
Date Posted: 08 May 11 at 12:01am
While I still think an open or mixed skiff may have been better, it will be interesting to see what they now come up with.  Personally the only existing boat I can see in with a shout is the rebel.  More new designs to come I'm sure.

Posted By: Stevie_GTI
Date Posted: 08 May 11 at 10:35pm
Of the people who have voted I'm guessing most have seen the rebel and xx, but how many have seen the 900 project?

-------------

Posted By: Adamk93
Date Posted: 08 May 11 at 11:06pm
Here's an idea. What about the standard 29er? They can take the weight of heavy people (like nathan outteridge) while still being controllable by light tikes. And they are fast, despite it being a small youth boat. With a few small mods (like a real mast with lowers and a better kicker/gnav system) I reason that it'd be excellent for exciting sailing (speed/spray and capsizes) and excellent racing (plenty of tictacs and close racing). Plus the fleet is well based and boats are cheap. But then I am slightly biased Wink

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 09 May 11 at 11:35am
The 29er is a great boat (unlike the XX) but I'm not sure it would be a good choice for the games. Besides which its not really that different from the 470.

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 09 May 11 at 11:43am
Hope the Daemon get's another airing...

Date Posted: 09 May 11 at 6:29pm
To be honest, none of them are really stand out boats after seeing them all bar the 900, which sounds like a modded 800 which falls into the "not stand out" category for me. More interested to see what the cats come up with and I sails skiffs. Why is there all this fuss about bodging something to fit a women's skiff. I hope Bethwaite is calling our bluff and some fantastic 39er rears it's head last moment, doubt it though. I reckon we'll end up with some non-fantastic default boat to fall in with supply logistics.

More to the point, I'm fairly local to where the Olympic sailing will be held in 2012, and I'm not that fussed about taking any time out to see it. I am, however, quite keen to get along to Plymouth for the AC wing sailed monsters. Am I just getting cynical with old age?

Posted By: Jack Sparrow
Date Posted: 09 May 11 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by JimC

The 29er is a great boat (unlike the XX) but I'm not sure it would be a good choice for the games. Besides which its not really that different from the 470.

Jim, I'm interested, have you sailed the XX? What do think is so wrong with it?

-------------
http://www.uk3-7class.org/index.html" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Class Website
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1092602470772759/" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Building - Facebook Group

Date Posted: 09 May 11 at 11:29pm
Its not so much me, its what all the people I know who've sailed it seem to think, some of whom are world class 29er sailors... They don't seem to think it works as a package. But bits bolted on here, bits bolted on there rather than a complete design isn't often a recipe for success.

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 6:59am
The XX lobby machine is back in action- story on the homepage from them, timing not a coincidence.

-------------
-_
Al

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 7:21am
Actually, Daryl, that is a very fair point. A lot seem to shoot the 29erXX down without sailing it first hand. If we were to believe every we hear, a musto would be crap, a 49er unsailable and a Laser God's gift to the boating community.

I'd put money on the 9er getting it.

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 8:49am
Quite a few people seem to "big up" the XX without having first sailed it too...

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: stiffboater
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 9:24am
I have sailed the 900 and its an awesome boat.....it couldnt be more different from an 800

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 9:35am
Originally posted by stiffboater

I have sailed the 900 and its an awesome boat.....it couldnt be more different from an 800
I'm sure it could... bet a Mirror dinghy is more different!
Are there any pictures of it in close up anywhere?

-------------

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 11:17am
According to Sailweb, the RS900 (or details of) will be released this week in advance of a try out session at HISC this weekend

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: Mark Jardine
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 12:24pm
Well Dave Chisholm was just confirmed (via Facebook) that he's building a GT70 (based on the B5 I14 mould), so another option is available!

Posted By: Ruscoe
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 12:57pm
I have not sailed any of the above, so can't comment on the merits of a single class.  I certainly don't fit into the demographic profile (being a fat male) but i would really like to see something 'like' the 49er for the girls.  I like the idea of a 39er.  I am just not sure why the woman would want/have to make do with a modified existing hull/rig.  All of the above just seem wrong.  To my mind of the existing classes the 29er fits the bill best, but as Jim says they already have a single trap boat in the 470.  As for the i14, cherub incarnations I'm still not convinced.

-------------

Posted By: Neptune
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 1:03pm
Interesting story on the home page that the ISAF have just given international status to the 29erxx.  That surely gives it the upper hand

-------------
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor

Posted By: Evil Monkey
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 1:26pm
FFS make sure the chosen boat has adequate freeboard. The 29erXX is ridiculously low, as is the B14 (and derivatives thereof).

And, let's face it, who really wants to deal with Julian (or make him any richer)?

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 1:29pm
Can anyone point me in the direction of any info on this RS900, or is it just a case of waiting.

Posted By: RS400atC
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 2:08pm
The best our esteemed RS manufacturer's site could offer was '

Three boats left last month and three more today to form the first RS500 fleet in Uganda, sailing on Lake Victoria. I hope we don’t stop getting excited by developments like this.

'

Bless!

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Three boats left last month and three more today to form the first RS500 fleet in Uganda

That's arguably far more important than the choice of women's skiff for the future of Olympic sailing... one of the biggest problems the sport has is poor participation in Africa and Oceania.

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 2:35pm
indeed- that's a pretty damn big step.

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: s.a.l.t.y
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 2:48pm
This could be an obvious answer, but could we not just throw some women in a 49er and tell them to get on with it? Im suprised that the idea of a 'womens skiff' has not been flagged up as discriminatory against women, what with that sexual equality and stuff like that. There are plenty of female sailors out there that would be more than capable of handling a 49er, some probably more so than many of the men out there that have decided that women should be sailing a 'lesser' boat, so why not just give them indoors one aswell?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 3:09pm

Originally posted by s.a.l.t.y

This could be an obvious answer, but could we not just throw some women in a 49er and tell them to get on with it? Im suprised that the idea of a 'womens skiff' has not been flagged up as discriminatory against women, what with that sexual equality and stuff like that. There are plenty of female sailors out there that would be more than capable of handling a 49er, some probably more so than many of the men out there that have decided that women should be sailing a 'lesser' boat, so why not just give them indoors one aswell?

While I agree to an extent, unfortunately it's not realistic as a lot of woman just wouldn't be heavy enough for it. 

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Foiling_Toff

While I agree to an extent, unfortunately it's not realistic as a lot of woman just wouldn't be heavy enough for it. 

like anything if you want to participate you'd make yourself the right size/weight.  dont see why we have to have all the different distictions for mens and womens with diffferent boats, just do 5 classes with a mens and a womens in each.

single handed skiff
double handed skiff
single handed dinghy
double handed cat
board

-------------
https://skiff-media.teemill.com/" rel="nofollow - T-SHIRTS
https://www.photo4me.com/profile/23908/" rel="nofollow - PRINTS

Posted By: RS400atC
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 4:19pm
Surely in other sports, they take an event which already exists, like say women's doubels rowing, and give it olympic status, rather than creating a new event that no women are previously participating in?

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by RS400atC

Surely in other sports, they take an event which already exists, like say women's doubels rowing, and give it olympic status, rather than creating a new event that no women are previously participating in?
 You'd think so, wouldn't you? Of course, it may be that other sports are exactly like this, but not being up with it we just don't hear about it. Many sports must be struggling with the "equality" thing.

-------------

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by slop_idol

like anything if you want to participate you'd make yourself the right size/weight.  dont see why we have to have all the different distictions for mens and womens with diffferent boats, just do 5 classes with a mens and a womens in each.

single handed skiff
double handed skiff
single handed dinghy
double handed cat
board

Or

single handed skiff
double handed skiff
single handed Cat
double handed cat
board

as for the choice of Cat for 2016; I'd bet on the Viper!  (and hope that the Hobie 16 does not make it).

-------------
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 6:37pm
The track events have some differences between men and women in middle distance. Field have different weights for "throwing" events between genders. On the cycling track, 2012 will be the first Olympics with the same events for men and women. It'll be the first with female boxing (and then rather less events). There's a lot less canoeing events for women. In the football, there's 12 spots for women's teams, which can be full national sides, whilst the men have 16 spots for under 23 sides (with up to 3 overage players).

-------------
-_
Al

Date Posted: 10 May 11 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

Originally posted by slop_idol

single handed skiff
double handed skiff
single handed dinghy
double handed cat
board

Or

single handed skiff
double handed skiff
single handed Cat
double handed cat
board

as for the choice of Cat for 2016; I'd bet on the Viper!  (and hope that the Hobie 16 does not make it).

Absolutely spot on, I'd allocate windsurfer and kiteboard events, with single and double handed dinghy on top. 8 events, covers everything really, you could even through in a lead mine and make it 9.

Viper is a good shout, hope Nacra come up with a mini F20C.

Posted By: Anemoi
Date Posted: 14 May 11 at 2:25pm
RS Sailing have announced details of the RS900 on http://www.sailweb.co.uk/#4163 -  - follow developments on http://www.facebook.com/pages/RS-900-sailing-womens-high-performance-skiff/151496208246831?sk=wall - and http://www.twitter.com/rs900 - .

Date Posted: 14 May 11 at 3:38pm
Dirty lovechild of a 49er and an 800? 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 11 at 4:42pm
I think it looks quite good. Rig looks pretty powerful for the size of the boat.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com