Forum Discription: Your thoughts on challenges to win the 'Auld Mug'
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7308
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 8:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TO withdrawal and useless Y&Y coverage
Posted By: blueboy
Subject: TO withdrawal and useless Y&Y coverage
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 7:46am
Surely the biggest news in British sailing in the last month has been the withdrawal of Team Origin from AC34. Even if you don't care about the AC it's highly relevant to Team GBR's prospects in Weymouth 2012. And what do we get in Y&Y? A small news piece with zero analysis and the usual blather from Fisher, repeating ad-nauseam that every single thing BMWO does is wonderful, with no mention of Team Origin at all.

And this from what purports to be the journal of record of the British racing scene. Pitiful.

Replies:
Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 8:53am
Was it news? I don't know why, but something about that team made me doubt they'd ever turn up on a start line for an AC event. What, I don't know. It was just I had a highly personal and quite illogical emotional feeling which I can't explain that the money and effort wasn't going in the right direction.

In any case the team owner was so joined up with the Bertarelli vision that the chances of him wanting to work with Eliison were always going to be minimal.

Posted By: Gael
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 11:00am
Originally posted by blueboy

Surely the biggest news in British sailing in the last month has been the withdrawal of Team Origin from AC34. Even if you don't care about the AC it's highly relevant to Team GBR's prospects in Weymouth 2012. And what do we get in Y&Y? A small news piece with zero analysis and the usual blather from Fisher, repeating ad-nauseam that every single thing BMWO does is wonderful, with no mention of Team Origin at all.

Quite simply; the story broke as we were printing the magazine, most of the pages were already at the printers, hence there was nothing in the main magazine, the news pages were finished but pulled them back to  put a brief story on last minute - perhaps we should have flagged it as such, but it was either that or ignore it until the following issue... unfortunately deadlines don't always fall in the most convenient place!

-------------
If you're not smiling, do something about it :o)

Posted By: radixon
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 11:17am
Deadlines are usually the reason why something gets missed off, unfortunately Newspapers run to different deadlines to Magazines so some content has to wait, then it is old news, but hey ho, thats the way it goes.

-------------

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 11:28am
I hope it means that a magazine, while bringing news later than newspapers, can do so in more depth and insight, and possibly less editorial bias, if we are lucky.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Posted By: G.R.F.
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 11:38am
Then isn't that the benefit of having an online resource?

Not that I personally have the remotest interest in that tale.

Could it not feature on the home page.

-------------
https://www.ease-distribution.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.ease-distribution.com/

Posted By: MerlinMags
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 1:00pm
The Y&Y website ran the press release which Team Origin sent out.

Is there really much more to say other than "we're not competing"? We can all see why. A great shame of course. Bring back the 12 metres! Or the Js!

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

Bring back the 12 metres!

Oh good grief no...

An interesting exercise might be to go back to "Readers Write" pages from AC years in YYs from say 1970 through to 1987 and see what the writers - after all the forumites of their day - thought about the 12s at the time. If my memory serves me correctly I think you'll find there was rather less than universal approval...

Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by MerlinMags

The Y&Y website ran the press release which Team Origin sent out.

Reprinting press releases isn't journalism. Nor do I need Y&Y to run press releases. I can find them for myself and will invariably have seen any I'm interested in long before Y&Y appears. What I want is analysis and information I cannot get elsewhere.

Is there really much more to say other than "we're not competing"? We can all see why.

TDS has interviews with Mills and Simmer which do into a great more detail on the decision. Other sites and blogs have other interviews with sailors. SAAC has run into thousands of words on the subject. So yes there is a great deal more to say than "we're not competing" and if you are confident you understand the reasons leading to the decision, good for you but having followed the story in some depth, I don't feel certain at all.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by JimC

Was it news?

It was news to most of the sailors, apparently. You might however make a case that they'd adopted an ostrich posture.

In any case the team owner was so joined up with the Bertarelli vision that the chances of him wanting to work with Eliison were always going to be minimal.

Maybe. On the other hand they worked together on the 1851 reprise event at Cowes Week into which it appears both TO and BMWO poured considerable money and effort.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Gael

Quite simply; the story broke as we were printing the magazine, most of the pages were already at the printers, hence there was nothing in the main magazine, the news pages were finished but pulled them back to  put a brief story on last minute - perhaps we should have flagged it as such, but it was either that or ignore it until the following issue... unfortunately deadlines don't always fall in the most convenient place!

Thanks for the explanation. The press release was Oct 1st and the online version of the magazine was released 15th Oct. So that's two weeks delay between freeze on editorial content and the magazine in the hands of the readers. I have to say I'm surprised it is that long.

Posted By: I luv Wight
Date Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by blueboy

Maybe. On the other hand they worked together on the 1851 reprise event at Cowes Week into which it appears both TO and BMWO poured considerable money and effort.

But it wasn't very interesting though was it?
From Cowes, you could just about see the sails in the far distance. Live coverage on the net was not much better with some vid feed of them sailing along, but the most 'interesting' bit was the virtual spectator, which at least showed who was in front - but why would you want to watch someone elses 2 hour video game?
And a restart 'cos one boat got in front, in an attempt to make it look better when they got back to Cowes Thumbs Down

Just compare with the  X40's racing just off the beach... ( and on the beach in one case Shocked  )

-------------
" rel="nofollow -
http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk" rel="nofollow - http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a005e'

Invalid use of Null: 'Replace'

/Forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 959