Print Page | Close Window

Beginner looking 4 advice on where + how

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Sailing Holidays
Forum Discription: Where you go and what you enjoy!
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6301
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 12:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Beginner looking 4 advice on where + how
Posted By: nshultz
Subject: Beginner looking 4 advice on where + how
Date Posted: 01 Jan 10 at 10:37pm

Hi - I am not a sailor - yet.  but i am very interested in taking a week-long boating vacation with my fiance.  I am not sure if i prefer to go on a sail boat or a motor boat.  But i do know i am looking for an interesting destination in the US.  As a beginner looking into this, I am looking for advice on several aspects:

a) where is the best place to boat in the US (or at least some interesting suggestions) - either motorboating or sailing.  I am flexible on the time of year that i go, so my destination choice will be based on the most interesting place i can find vs time of year. Also,

b) i am not sure i will be a boater forever (just depends on how much i love it) so wonder if i should just charter a boat with a captain or try and learn myself.  Sailing certainly seems like it would be much harder to learn than a motor boat.  Considering i only have a week, it seems like chartering with a captain is most logical - but maybe i'm not thinking of something.

c) are there any good companies that you know of to arrange a trip through?

Thanks for any advice you might have.  

nancy

Replies:
Posted By: desteve1
Date Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 10:10am
do you want to sail dinghys or keelboats?

-------------
laser 81188 (looking for a name)

Posted By: ham4sand
Date Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 5:11pm
i think they want a yacht

-------------
John Hamilton
cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime
cherub 3209 - anatidaephobia
laser 176847 - kiss this
[FORSALE]

Date Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 9:21pm

yes - we're looking for a yacht.  something comfortable for 2-5 people where we could spend several nights.

so my research so far has allowed me to at least bucket the options into
1-atlantic intracostal waterway
2-florida gulf intracoastal waterway
3-gulf intracoastal waterway
4-great lakes
5-pacific/northwest inside passage
6-inland river system (chicago to mobile)

but that's a lot to decide on. and even within those buckets, there is so much to choose from.

it'd be great to hear if any of you have had a particularly good experience in one of those areas (and where - like Norfolk to D.C.)

Thanks!
Nancy

Posted By: womble12345
Date Posted: 03 Jan 10 at 7:12am
I doubt anyone on here will know much about the US. Try the Sailing Anarchy Forum as that is where the americans hang out.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 10 at 2:30am

Thanks for the advice - didn't realize this was more of a European forum.  I'll try the one you suggested.

have a good one!

nancy

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 07 Jan 10 at 7:04am
You just sent someone to SA without warning him? nshultz, if you're still reading this, if you post a thread like this on SA I can only see it going badly, unfortunately. Certainly if you post it as your first thread. It's a bit rough at times there, needlessly.

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: Skiffybob
Date Posted: 08 Jan 10 at 11:12am

Nancy

Your best bet is the BVI.

It's an ideal place for your first sailing (or motr boating) vacation. All he navigation is simple and by sight, there are no tides to worry about, and there are loads of lovely bays to visit with great bars and restaurants.

If you want to sail, I would recommend Horizon Yacht Charters, and if you want a motor boat, try Virgin Traders.

If you want some tuition or you want one of their guys to come with you for the first day to show you the ropes, the're happy to do that.

Hope that helps

Bob

-------------
12ft Skiff - Gordon Keeble and the Furry Fly-by
AC - GBR271 - Whoosh
B49 - Island Alchemy

Date Posted: 12 Jan 10 at 8:49pm

Thanks Al - I did read quite a bit on their site and realized it was a group way too advanced for me :)  so i chose to stay quiet there.  appreciate the heads up.  Hope you're sailing somewhere great soon!

nancy

Posted By: Hughph
Date Posted: 19 Mar 11 at 10:00pm
Hey 

I would really reccomend Nautilus Yachting- they offer a captain and also learn to sail courses on yachts in Greece, Med, Caribbean etc

There is also the option of joining in with a group of others in a flotilla with your own captain to get great support and a lead boat to do things like navigation for you. 

You'll easily be able to find a yacht to suit as they have a pretty decent range to choose from. 

http://www.nautilus-yachting.co.uk - Link- 

If that doesn't work just copy and paste the link below

Cheers
PHS

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com