Print Page | Close Window

So EXPENSIVE!!

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Choosing a boat
Forum Discription: Ask any questions about the sport!
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=477
Printed Date: 18 Apr 24 at 10:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: So EXPENSIVE!!
Posted By: hydrographer20
Subject: So EXPENSIVE!!
Date Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:03pm

hi back in  the days i used to sail with my dad or borrow his boat but i recently bought a topper byte.  i cannot believe the hidden costs!! first thres insurance then im paying £200 a year to keep it at the dingy park then £70 to join a club.  then another like £150 if i wana go on a course.  is it this expensive for everybody else??  however i must say though the cost is definatley worth it

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Replies:
Posted By: Wave Rider
Date Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:24pm

No im a Junior member at both my clubs and as they are trying to encourage younger members the fee's are very reasonable also once you have joined it does get a bit cheaper becaue you never have to pay the large lump sum for the joining fee !

But you are right sailing isn't a cheap sport if you want to be ion a club with your own boat

-------------
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933

Posted By: Harry44981!
Date Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:44pm
wait till you get on a circuit.10er for a regional open, 25 quid a nationwide.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:45pm
well if u dont join a club basicall u cant really get anywhere canu its so annoying but well worth it

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Date Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 8:09pm

Yeah you cant race in good races without the use of a club really !

Harry i've been doing Topper training every week and should be on a circuit soon ! yey!

Also are you going to do the Nationwide event at Chew in the summer?

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Posted By: Contender443
Date Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 10:14pm

Don't forget your class association membership at about £25 to £30 pa

RYA membership at £33pa

RNLI membership - don't know how much that is...

Imagine if you joined all of these. No wonder each of these is trying very hard to get our money. How many people actually are members of the first 2 whic hwe are told by each to be essential if you sail.

-------------
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764

Date Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 8:03am
Yes ill be going to chew, see you there!

-------------

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 11:36am
I think you should join the association.  I can't see much benefit of joining the RYA although I have been a member in the past when I was an instructor.

Posted By: Contender443
Date Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 12:52pm

Originally posted by redback

I think you should join the association.  I can't see much benefit of joining the RYA although I have been a member in the past when I was an instructor.

That is it - I think people only join the RYA because they have to. For example if they are involved in training. I am sure their marketing manager will have something to say about that.

Free publications, supporting our sport etc. But when do we have time to read all the publications we get as well as go sailing.

-------------
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764

Posted By: stuarthop
Date Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 2:27pm
I am a member of the RYA as i'm an instructor but if i wasn't i dont think i would bother to be honest because all the services the RYA offers are available to non members any way

-------------

Posted By: C. Petrie
Date Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 4:16pm

The RYA as i see it is really only of use to the actual clubs themself, as an RYA affiliated club is usually better in terms of managing to train people to a standard to which they can prove with those wee certificates people seem to be obsesed with. The RYA also comes in pretty hand in terms of the old RYA PY handicap scheme.  but as to your average sailor... i dont see much point really....

i have been known to be proved wrong tho!

C

Posted By: Bennett
Date Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 4:28pm
Yep, I only joined the RYA because It told me I had to to attend Transition Training. It does help alot of clubs and people in the racing scene, squads etc but not sure how much it actually does for the average sailor?? It probably does and ive just not noticed? Discuss

Posted By: Phil eltringham
Date Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 7:20pm

Well I'm paying £81 for membership and boatparking this year at south shields which is pretty reasonable considering its a champion club. 

As for the RYA I think it is very easy to take it for granted but without it sailing in the UK would not be where it is.  Our olympic performances would be nowhere near what they have been, and the european and national governmets would have found even more ways of making our lives more difficult.  I say better the devil you know!!

-------------
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Posted By: moomin
Date Posted: 25 Feb 05 at 10:03am

Don't forget to the cost of life insurance,

Anyone else find the Tesco life insurance advertising banner at the top of the forum a little unnerving, "living life on the edge" you irresponsible fools you'd better protect the ones you love, "you're only worth £5 a month!" 

-------------
Moomin

Date Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 4:31pm
lol thats so true i work part time for tesco and im  happy to know that if i diw my family get just enough money so that they can go on holiday!

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Posted By: sailor.jon
Date Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 8:12pm
the fees at my club r as follows

One time Entrance Fee £30
Ordinary Membership £50
Family Membership £65
Student Membership £25
Junior Membership (no entry fee) £15
Associate Membership £15
Visitors (per outing) £2.50
Boat Registration £20
Boat Storage at Club £35

-------------
Jon
Vortex 1169
http://www.yorkshiredales.sc/ - Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club

Posted By: *GM*
Date Posted: 26 Feb 05 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Phil eltringham

Well I'm paying £81 for membership and boatparking this year at south shields which is pretty reasonable considering its a champion club. 

I think "pretty reasonable" is a bit of an understatement!

My club charges £55 membership plus £60 race fees.  And then the marina want £180 parking fee for the Stealth and another £135 for the eps.

Anyone wanna buy an eps?

Posted By: sailor.jon
Date Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 8:09pm

think of how much it would cost to keep a keel boat in a marina,

at Royal Quays on the river Tyne where my dad keeps his boat the rates are:

For 12 Months - £186.00 per meter

visitors - Daily(minimum charge of £13.50) Charged for the first 5 days, 50% discount there after,       £1.85 rate/meter/day

-------------
Jon
Vortex 1169
http://www.yorkshiredales.sc/ - Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club

Date Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 9:23pm
St. Peters marina further up the tyne is cheaper than that I think, and the winter membership includes entry to their race series. 

-------------
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Date Posted: 27 Feb 05 at 9:37pm

Loads of Championship clubs are very hard to get into i think because where is sail has a 1 year waiting list for membership places and the fee's are high !

Lucky i get junior membership really !

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Date Posted: 28 Feb 05 at 8:21pm
i only pay £35 a year student membership at corus colors and i get free corus social club membership and parking for my boat and windsurfer for that!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 05 at 2:54pm

does any one know of a cheaper club than this?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 05 at 3:01pm
wow i cannot believe how chaep that is its costing me student membership £65 and to park my boat £150.   

-------------
byte me!- GBR 814

Date Posted: 02 Mar 05 at 5:25pm
yeah its a very freindly club too

-------------

Posted By: bigwavedave
Date Posted: 02 Mar 05 at 6:06pm
No wonder it's cheap, it's got no bar!

-------------

Posted By: Garry
Date Posted: 02 Mar 05 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Contender443

Don't forget your class association membership at about £25 to £30 pa

RYA membership at £33pa

RNLI membership - don't know how much that is...

Imagine if you joined all of these. No wonder each of these is trying very hard to get our money. How many people actually are members of the first 2 whic hwe are told by each to be essential if you sail.

I'm a member of the class association, RYA and sailing club. The RYA doesn't do a bad job given the diversity of membership, but I do think the're a bit distant and out of touch with the average club sailor. Class associations are brillant - just think what they could do and how much cheaper it would be if they had a larger membership. However, it is very difficult to sell the benefits to the average sailor who is able to free ride on those who attend open meetings and nationals.

I think the first two are pretty important and if you can afford it deserve your support. I also think if you sail on the sea you should at least donate a few pounds to the RNLI.

Compared to a lot of leisure activities sailing is not really that expensive if you do it regularly. Not cheap, I admit, but how much is a season ticket to Man U? or a few pop concerts?

It might also be worth noting that those of us who are volunteer instructors often pay more than the average member and frequently sail less.

-------------
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk

Date Posted: 02 Mar 05 at 7:52pm
Yeah every year since i learned i have helped to teach RYA course 1,2,3 and advanced red...................hopefully getting assistant instructor this year !

-------------
           -[Franko]-
           RS600 933

Date Posted: 02 Mar 05 at 10:52pm
I'm an instructor and i recomend to people that the join the associations but its not essential

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 7:57am
I'm a class accosiation member, fordoing events, and with our squad you have to be an RYA member, so I joined the RYA as well,- not a problem untill i have to pay it myself!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 12:44pm
Harry, RYA student memeber is £11 a year, its not that much, even I can afford it!

-------------
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Posted By: KnightMare
Date Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 2:51pm

Yeah the RYA is good if you want to get quilifications for Instructing etc, and if you want to support the help that the clubs get (they wouldnt get this if noone joined RYA)

Class associations are the best things if you want to do the circuit or get good class specific training.

and i cant believe you guys go join the RNLI they are such an important group.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 5:54pm
i've done quite a bit of fundraisng for them including organising a charity go karting grandprix for them

-------------

Posted By: KnightMare
Date Posted: 03 Mar 05 at 6:24pm

lol ok so your allowed off the hook i supose....

I havent done that much realy as im only 17 so legaly I was only allowed to start collecting last yr first time i did i did 14hours straight. And since i was 7 I have counted all the money they received from the collections in my area.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com