URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4614
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 9:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Supernova 30
Posted By: Dave Hardy
Subject: Supernova 30
Date Posted: 05 Sep 08 at 1:31pm

Can anyone help??? 

I am considering a purchase of a Supernova 30.  It is circa 1975 built 30 foot keelboat almost certainly a half tonner built by Gardas marine Poole The boat has been modified to a masthead rig. and has been quoted as havbing a IRC handicap number of 0.93.  It has  a RCA Dolphin 12 hp petrol engine.We would expect to use it both for club racing in handicap fleet and cruising in the Irish Sea  
Has anyone sailed one of these, if so what is your opinion of sailing/cruising and racing
Does anyone have any views on the RCA Dolphin engine.

Hope somebody out there can help as there seems to bea complete derth of information on this boat  

-------------
Dave Hardy

Replies:
Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 06 Sep 08 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Dave Hardy

Can anyone help??? 

I am considering a purchase of a Supernova 30.  It is circa 1975 built 30 foot keelboat almost certainly a half tonner built by Gardas marine Poole The boat has been modified to a masthead rig. and has been quoted as havbing a IRC handicap number of 0.93.  It has  a RCA Dolphin 12 hp petrol engine.We would expect to use it both for club racing in handicap fleet and cruising in the Irish Sea  
Has anyone sailed one of these, if so what is your opinion of sailing/cruising and racing
Does anyone have any views on the RCA Dolphin engine.

Hope somebody out there can help as there seems to bea complete derth of information on this boat  

Is the pertol engine inboard or an outboard? It would be strange to have a petrol inboard on a yacht surely?

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Date Posted: 06 Sep 08 at 11:28am

Hi Tom Thanks for taking and interest, it is an inboard   I admit it is unusual, however dolphin do or did make marine petrol engines and they are inboard.  however i have never seen one and don't know anyrthig about them, like can you get spares etc

Dave  

-------------
Dave Hardy

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 06 Sep 08 at 11:59am

Originally posted by Dave Hardy

has been quoted as havbing a IRC handicap number of 0.93.

That's a lot for a 30+ year old 30 footer. I'd expect something around 0.90. As an example, S/33s are currently rating 0.925.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 08 at 9:23am
  Thanks for your interest Stefan.  I agree that 0.930 is very high fora 30 year old design however it is the only information I have to go on.   The only boat I can find that appears to be of this design is  listed is a Supernova 31 and is a boat called Demolition listed on the Half tonner web site. I have written to the listed owners to ask for their advice 

-------------
Dave Hardy

Posted By: Racecruiser
Date Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 6:35pm
[S/33s are currently rating 0.925.

Hi Stefan - guess you mean Sigma 33 and their one design rating is 0.915 which is low even for a boat that pushes a lot of water around especially downwind! See you for the Nab race on Saturday.

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 12 Sep 08 at 6:41pm
You mean next Saturday! Had me worried there for a minute. I obviously found an old figure for the S/33. Bandit rating now! Never mind, we'll show them our transom.

Posted By: garth weaver
Date Posted: 28 Sep 08 at 7:06pm

Demolition races against us (Projection 762) at the Helford River Sailing club (google for website).  A nice half-tonner with IRC rating of 0.927 - reasonably well optimised I would suggest.

She competed in Dartmouth this year with some success, but not as competitive as Per Elise, Falmouth half-tonner, who was 2nd in 2007 Half-Ton Cup.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 08 at 8:09pm

Thanks Gareth,

That is really useful and intersting info.  I did get a reply from the owners of Demolition which also helped to build a sort of picture.  As for the sale am going off the idea unless the seller drops the price, too much work to do and money to spend

Thanks again

-------------
Dave Hardy

Posted By: Nigel Theadom
Date Posted: 11 Nov 08 at 9:10am

I am pretty certain that you will get lots of help from Stephen Jones who, from your description designed and probably helped to build 'Supernova' a masthead 1/2 tonner - the original at least had a distinctive deck. Supernova was a forerunner to 'Demolition' and Smiffy and then the Hustler 32. A Masthead Hustler 32 which I presume to have similar dimensions rates about 0.910.

If possible ditch the dolphin which is probably still located in the bow for the IOR rating.

Posted By: Ian Watson
Date Posted: 07 Jul 09 at 11:17am

Hi

Just to add to Nigels comments (Hi Nigel) I believe there were 4 boats built from the Supernova tooling, 'Supernova' herself being the first with a distinctive heavily cambered deck rather than a coachroof . She was followed by 'Casanova' which had a conventional moulded coachroof and iirc a masthead rig (she was at Poole YC a few years back, white hull/yellow stripe). Then came the best known 'Smiffy' which was 3/4 rig and had a revised stern for the '78 Half Ton Cup in Poole, and finally 'Demolition' in 1981 when the HTC was again in Poole, she lost the distinctive stem profile of the earlier boats.

HTH 

Posted By: garth weaver
Date Posted: 09 Jul 09 at 8:41pm
Demolition is for sale in Cornwall with a nice set of kevlar laminates.  We have raced against her and she is still pretty competitive under IRC - see results of Dartmouth 2008.  Don't worry I'm not on commission.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 09 at 9:13am

Cheers Garth

Had a look at the pictures of her & she's looking very good- would be tempted if I didn't have other commitments! Smiffy was also looking very tidy when I saw her last weekend at Levington marina. (Though both would look better in their original colours/stripes!)

On the subject of one-off Stephen Jones half-tonners,does anyone know the whereabouts of either 'The Goodies' (1978?) or 'Boadicea' (1979).

Posted By: detente
Date Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 12:14pm

Just one point Smiffy has been radically modifyed over the past few years and does not look like the origional half tonner that rolled out of the shed all those years ago....

Posted By: laser193713
Date Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 10:23pm
That IRC rating doesnt seem too far off, Anchor Challenge (Peter Mortons new quarter tonner) rates at 0.922 I think, but that has been very seriously modified with a huge rig.  Our Bolero with standard rig but more modern sail plan now rates 0.869 which is low for a 1/4 tonner now, but that is achieved on nothing near the budget of some of the boats out there!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 09 at 9:17am

Some of the figures I've heard for restoring a 1/4 tonner are in line with new-build costs for the closest modern equivalent, a Corby 25.

Which leads to the question of whether a new-build 1/4 tonner to the original hull lines but keel/rig etc optimised for IRC would be viable...... would it be allowed out to play with it's forebears?

Posted By: laser193713
Date Posted: 14 Jul 09 at 12:56pm

Building a new 1/4 tonner would be much easier but completely defeats the point of the class, and no, you couldnt race it with us as a 1/4 tonner.  Some boats have been spending £50k and more on optimisation, and when I say optimisation this is serious stuff!  Anchor challenge added more freeboard so the hull is far from standard but still rates as 1/4 ton because the hull is the same one as used before, a lot of boats now have new decks which is slightly more risky when it comes to the spirit of the rule!

check out http://www.runawaybus.co.uk - www.runawaybus.co.uk for up to date progress of one of the nicest boats in the fleet in terms of finish, though they have had trouble downwind with the massive rig that they have stuck in it! Gave us some trouble in cowes week last year when they broached in front of us and we put a nice hole in them luckily just above the waterline!

For us we have just made the boat a bit more open plan down below and removed a lot of the teak veneer that was in the boat, removed the inboard engine, moved the forestay to the bow but kept the same mast.  This year we have a new boom and are onto our second carbon pole after breaking the last one, this time it is slightly longer.  Moved up to a 38m kite from the original with the boat which was about 30m, for the 1/4 ton cup we will not be using a genoa, we have rated for a battened jib which is 2m smaller than the genoa was with less overlap because the forestay has moved forwards.  The boat also had a new rudder in 2007 because the old one was rotten and not the most efficient shape!

Not sure how much we have spent but because we havent focused on cosmetics yet and have done most of the work ourselves apart from the rudder, moving the forestay and removing the engine the cost has been kept down (ish)

We also don't dry sail the boat, it is kept in the water but before events we come out for a few days and sand and paint the bottom, just means the boat is there for sailing whenever, costs less to keep, and still goes as fast in the big events.

Most of the fun of the 1/4 ton class is in the work on the boat and the parties, the racing is good but obviously not quite as close as one design racing.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 09 at 1:23pm

Thanks for the link & the insight - haven't been following the 1/4 ton revival that closely & hadn't appreciated the extent to which some teams are going! - Not really sure where the spirit of the rule ends when some boats are approaching the proverbial axe!

It's good to see  so many old boats having a second life

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 14 Jul 09 at 2:45pm

link to felixstowe sail east results for 1/2 ton class

http://www.felixstoweregatta.co.uk/pages/results/HalfTonner_HalfTonnerSeries.htm - http://www.felixstoweregatta.co.uk/pages/results/HalfTonner_ HalfTonnerSeries.htm

-------------
https://skiff-media.teemill.com/" rel="nofollow - T-SHIRTS
https://www.photo4me.com/profile/23908/" rel="nofollow - PRINTS

Posted By: Juggs
Date Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 2:45pm
Just to let everyone know that the next time the Half ton classics is held it will be run here in the UK. So it's a good time to get hold of an old boat but find the biggest one you can as they come out best under the current IRC formula. Casanova with some clever optimisation could be a weapon in the right hands and possibly a cheaper update than some boats.
Two top half tonners have recently been purchased for west country owners so the UK fleet could be very competitive in 2011.
There is now a half ton page in the classes section of this website.

Posted By: halfton
Date Posted: 15 Oct 10 at 7:57pm

More precisely in Cowes, from 22-26 AUG 2011. Event to be hosted by the RCYC.

To continue this thread: Supernova is for sale, seen on Apolloduck.

Posted By: u015689
Date Posted: 11 May 12 at 2:10pm
I skppered this boat for many years down in Poole. Won just about everything. Slips along in light airs. Struggles a bit in mid conditions but is so stiff and powerful totally blitzes everything in a blow. Safe offshore. Can average 15 Kts downwind flat water in a blow. Regularly beat Demolition particularly when windy. Somewhat over built structurally compared to S Jones intent.

I really want to buy her again but .......

Posted By: Juggs
Date Posted: 12 Jul 12 at 1:57pm
Anyone know where Casanova has gone?

Posted By: Stu79
Date Posted: 11 Apr 17 at 4:21pm
She is in Sunderland

-------------
S Dorward

Posted By: Stu79
Date Posted: 11 Apr 17 at 4:23pm
Casanova will be coming up for sale with in the next two months

-------------
S Dorward

Posted By: scyllasailing
Date Posted: 19 Feb 21 at 3:59pm
We have now acquired Supernova and are refurbing her to get her ready for racing again. 

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com