Forum Discription: The top end racing in our sport
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4484
Printed Date: 28 Mar 24 at 7:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Thursday Forecast F4/5!!
Posted By: Ditchcrawler
Subject: Thursday Forecast F4/5!!
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 10:25am
Do we believe it? Will they cancel for too much wind, do you think??!!

Replies:
Posted By: Chew my RS
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 10:45am

That'll make it better to watch!

Watching the windmills and flags on the pier at Quingdao it always looks like a nice force 2, but then you watch them sailong and it looks like there is hardly any wind at all. 

Another thing - if Quingdao is hot why do they not get a nice sea breeze in the afternoon?

-------------
http://www.sailns14.org - http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK

Posted By: theycallmegod
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 11:19am
Who's forecast is that?
The 'Guru says light, but increasing towards the end of the day.
Friday looks breezy, and next wednesday gets 20kts by the end of the day...
Is there any sailing still going on by next wednesday?

-------------
B14 698
Laser 135776

Posted By: Ditchcrawler
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 11:37am

Quite right, TCMG, Friday not tomorrow.

The RS:X medal race is next Wed., also racing for the Stars and the Tornados.

Posted By: kanga
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 12:36pm
oh dear, if its breezy for the start of the tornadoes....where will we see mitch booth and his code zero companions?!

Posted By: mike ellis
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 1:29pm
they will be well and truly stuffed. I thought that was all mind games. i was quite suprised to see they actually measured in with it.

-------------
600 732, will call it Sticks and Stones when i get round to it.
Also International 14, 1318

Posted By: HannahJ
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 3:02pm
Funny, all the pictures I've seen of the racing, it looks quite windy... little waves, hiking out... maybe they only show the windy ones?

-------------
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

Posted By: Mark Jardine
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 5:17pm

The photographers have been fantastic at catching the boats as they're going down waves!

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 5:45pm
TV coverage today had me feeling really bad for them, specially as it's blowing seagulls backwards here!

-------------
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one

Posted By: Scooby_simon
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 7:14pm
Forecast is looking good for the next few days F4 to F5 for Fri / Sat / Sun / Mon / Tues / weds!!!!

-------------
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..

Posted By: redback
Date Posted: 13 Aug 08 at 11:19pm
Oh I do hope so - its been a dire viewing so far. 

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 6:17am

BBC site says:

0541: Sailing update. Still no wind in Qingdao. Not even the flags are moving apparently. Who's up for a wind dance?

So much for force 4/5.

Posted By: Contender 541
Date Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 7:58am
Good Grief!

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 8:51am

It would seem it's  case of:

flag N

Date Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

BBC site says:

0541: Sailing update. Still no wind in Qingdao. Not even the flags are moving apparently. Who's up for a wind dance?

So much for force 4/5.

I did say starting Friday....Wind Guru has nowt today, F4 Friday, F2-3 Sat, Sunday F5, Mon F2-4, Tuesday F1, Weds F6 !!!!!

Reads like there are some storm cells around, but cannot really tell when the wind might arrive.  Fingers crossed it might.....

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:47am
Finn and Yngling cancelled for today

-------------
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Date Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:54am

All Sailing is now cancelled

-------------

Crew on 505 8780

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 14 Aug 08 at 9:54am
cancellation will work in our Ben/Sarah's-Pippa's favour, you can be a lot more relaxed sitting in the boat park in the lead than you could if you are chasing...

guessing the Laser, 49er and RSX sailors would have prefered to race today, but if there's more breeze coming in the next 1-2 days it could also be good for them to hang on.

-------------
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one

Posted By: allanorton
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 6:39am
Starts delayed again this morning...................................................no wind again

Posted By: les5269
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 6:41am
frustrating isn't it!

-------------
49er 531 & 5000 5025 and a mirror(now gone to mirror heaven)!

http://www.grafham.org/" rel="nofollow - Grafham water Sailing Club The greatest inland sailing in the country

Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 7:56am
Boats are heading out. Still looks piss though. Ah well. "Highlights" later for me then.

Posted By: tack'ho
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 8:24am

They may not have lost any days during the test events, but so far in the actual regatta (where it counts in front of the world) we've had racing so exciting they took the p*ss out of it on mock the week and it looks like potentially another day lost today, giving us a total of 2 so far. 

Who said this was an ok venue?

-------------
I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!

Posted By: laser4000
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 8:35am
Originally posted by tack'ho

They may not have lost any days during the test events, but so far in the actual regatta (where it counts in front of the world) we've had racing so exciting they took the p*ss out of it on mock the week

Yeah but even I found that funny...

Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 8:36am
just seen some footage of BEL tornado, seemed to be ok under kite..flying a hull...perhaps we might be lucky...even the leadmines seem to be going ok.

good luck GBR in all fleets!!

Posted By: Stefan Lloyd
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 8:37am
Good grief, there seem to be boats leaning over in the breeze. Are they supposed to do that?

Posted By: Mark Jardine
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 8:40am

Looks like the breeze is in! I've started the daily live update in anticipation (hope that's not a bad move...)

Mock the Week was very funny!

Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 9:29am
yeah and the star crews are in the hobbles and over the side going upwind..whats going on..

Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 9:42am
What happened to the frenchies, Brazil, ITA  in 1st leg race 1 of stars.. over 4 minutes behind already?.

Posted By: Lukepiewalker
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 2:18pm
They went right....

-------------
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"

Posted By: Phil eltringham
Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 4:14pm
It was very funny watching the swedish start reaching into the top mark shortly followed by the leading tornados and finally several minutes back the brazilian and italian stars. 

-------------
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen

Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 7:11pm

Originally posted by Phil eltringham

It was very funny watching the swedish start reaching into the top mark shortly followed by the leading tornados and finally several minutes back the brazilian and italian stars. 

Even better watching the odd shot of T's twin stringing up hill going 3 times as fast and then one shot of a T going down wind about 5 times as fast with the kite up as the Star.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Scooby_simon

Even better watching the odd shot of T's twin stringing up hill going 3 times as fast and then one shot of a T going down wind about 5 times as fast with the kite up as the Star.

I couldn't agree with you more..to the armchair punter the T's looked wicked compared to the leadmines... nice one ISAF !!

Date Posted: 15 Aug 08 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by laser4000

Originally posted by Scooby_simon

I couldn't agree with you more..to the armchair punter the T's looked wicked compared to the leadmines... nice one ISAF !!

Which we have been saying to sthe ISAF for some time, and the IOC want more spectacular classes and so....  Hang on we've been here before....

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com