Print Page | Close Window

RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show 20qy

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: General
Forum Name: Boat Shows
Forum Discription: Discuss the various boat shows we have in the sailing industry
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12282
Printed Date: 19 Oct 17 at 9:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show 20qy
Posted By: Spitfire089
Subject: RYA Suzuki Dinghy Show 20qy
Date Posted: 19 Jan 16 at 10:25pm
Any news on the Dinghy Show this year?

Replies:
Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 20 Jan 16 at 9:10am
There is a thread in Dinghy Development on this already. Seems the rumour mill are not saying much new aside from a number of classes deciding to give it a miss on cost grounds.

-------------
Paul
---------------------------
D-Zero GBR188
Ex Rooster 8.1 '11'
Ex Laser 167534
Ex Blaze 655

Posted By: iGRF
Date Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 5:33pm
Well other than a few errands I had to run picking up bits for the Alto, I have to say this year is the worse I've ever attended for lack of 'vibe' and generally a rfwot. The whole thing is beginning to border on being a rip off, at 16 quid I have to say, not exactly money well spent.

As you walked in, there was none of the usual pazazz, just a lonely 49er chucked out with the pillar you can sign to wish them luck, I think it had a couple of signatures and one of them read 'your mum and dad'.

Nothing much new, of particular interest to me, I had a look at the Hadron, asked a couple of dumb questions of the designer wondering why he'd perched the mast up on top of the deck then had to put a bit more mast between the deck and the bottom, why not just punch a hole through, would make rigging easier single handed if nothing else, i always think they look more vulnerable up there and merlins do pop the odd mast I've noticed, other than that, lots going on for those concerned about their knees and who don't mind self balers, which totally turned me of an otherwise cool boat.

I had my cake and ate it on the Solution stand has it been ten years already, that flew by, hell it'll be ten years next year since i bought my Alto. He of the brandy and baby sham was totally bottle free, no fizz, no fizzle it was all eyes down sell boats on the Devoti stand, as much as I tried to divert Russco with a hand drinking pint gesture, he wasn't moving, he even ignored the tongue hard in cheek suggesting a carrot or similar long object in ones mouth, even Brianne of Tarre had left the armour behind grown her hair and curled it for the occasion and other than suggesting she was ahem 'gagging for it' when i suggested envy of my yuogslavian freedom fighter sheepskin gilet, it was all business.

So I left for once actually content with what I'm already sailing and with no desire to change, I did have a little twinge looking at the blue sail on the blu D-Zero, but it'll wait another year, got lots to do this season and seeing the minisail listed as 1248 on the RYA list made up for the irritation of hearing the Laser is another 4 points slower, hell how much of a bandit has that boat got to end up, all those improvements over the years and now its slower still, you couldn't make it up never mind write it.

So if you're ambivalent about going tomorrow, i wouldn't bother, it's not worth a tenner never mind sixteen quid.

-------------

http://www.edgeactionsports.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Beanies, Bike Helmets & Snow accessories to clear

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 9:11pm
I had a lovely day, chatting to people on the Lightning stand, wandering round and chatting to more people the rest of the time. Will do similar again tomorrow. Did seem quite quiet, though, and while I enjoy it I do wonder slightly what the reason actually is for it existing.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail

Date Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 10:54pm
It's grossly expensive now, for the actual classes and only those that get some support from builders can warrant it, and the more I think about it, i want to actually sit in them you know, try them on for size, touchy feely, lift them up, stuff like that, try hauling some around on actual trailers, we do need an on the water dinghy class show that doesn't cost the earth, either to show, or attend and personally if the RYA were not there it wouldn't worry me one iota.

-------------

http://www.edgeactionsports.co.uk" rel="nofollow - Beanies, Bike Helmets & Snow accessories to clear

Posted By: Peaky
Date Posted: 05 Mar 16 at 11:13pm
I really enjoyed. For classes which don't realistically expect to sell any boats there, it must be getting difficult to justify.
I'm not sure about an on the water show, it would be logistically very difficult.
I would quite like a nostalgia show though, where classes which still exist but no longer attend the show, or those that have died off, can get to exhibit in an affordable manner. A sort of museum for a weekend.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Peaky

I really enjoyed. For classes which don't realistically expect to sell any boats there, it must be getting difficult to justify.
I'm not sure about an on the water show, it would be logistically very difficult.
I would quite like a nostalgia show though, where classes which still exist but no longer attend the show, or those that have died off, can get to exhibit in an affordable manner. A sort of museum for a weekend.

Drop into a cvrda event some time!

Could Y&Y support an event for a few keen classes in the same way that Classic boat supported (supports?) Beale Park? I can see something where classes and builders without the clout of the big boys could get together, swallow egos and have a lovely weekend showing off their wares.

-------------

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 10:42am
This has been the best show for years, there were loads of people here yesterday, it was buzzing! I think people just don't like you Graeme and were keeping clear...

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Date Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 10:45pm
It was pretty quiet today, though. Mother's day, daft idea to run it then.

-------------

Posted By: Peaky
Date Posted: 06 Mar 16 at 11:15pm
To be fair, the show is always the first weekend in March, and Mothers Day is always 3 weeks before Easter. The two don't often coincide...

Posted By: PeterG
Date Posted: 07 Mar 16 at 9:20am
Surely someone could have had the sense to move Mothers Day?

-------------
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Laser 189635
DY 59

Posted By: Presuming Ed
Date Posted: 07 Mar 16 at 9:31am
Pesky movable feasts

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 07 Mar 16 at 2:01pm
never mind Mother's day, just move the whole thing to another location - that's what puts me off time and again

Posted By: Presuming Ed
Date Posted: 07 Mar 16 at 2:11pm
Like where? 

Wonder if it would be possible to use PY returns to find centre of dinghy sailing population. 

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 07 Mar 16 at 2:23pm
The new map on the PY online website shows where the clubs that send returns are. Theoretically it ought to be possible to produce a map with say different sizewd dots to show how many finishers at each club, but I doubt it would transfer from the long list of development nice to haves to the short list of development budget available.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 12:11pm
Move where ? .... anywhere outside of the M25 please (and not in Kent/Essex as both require using that bl**dy car park to get there or back for most)

Date Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by getafix

Move where ? .... anywhere outside of the M25 please (and not in Kent/Essex as both require using that bl**dy car park to get there or back for most)

As water is not required how about the NEC? Easy enough to get to by car and train, relatively central and ample car parking that you can book in advance and scalable depending on the size of the show (1 hall, 2 halls, 3 halls)....

-------------
Paul
D-Zero GBR188
Ex Rooster 8.1 '11'
Ex Laser 167534
Ex Blaze 655

Date Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 12:55pm
NEC - expensive zero atmosphere and full of brummies, can brummies even swim yet (in something other than a vat of beer)?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 1:00pm
the show has never been at top of the range venues like NEC. I've always assumed cost...

Posted By: turnturtle
Date Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by iGRF

NEC - expensive zero atmosphere and full of brummies, can brummies even swim yet (in something other than a vat of beer)?

perhaps you should come up to Blithfield, Draycote, Shustoke, Olton Mere etc.... to find out.  

Bring a boat and a hearty appetite.... the humble pie will be very tasty.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 6:20am
I doubt something as grand or large as the NEC is needed.  By exhib hall standards Alli Palli is tiny anyway.  I would guess a college sports hall or a county show ground would have capacity enough, the main issue might be parking.

Posted By: Do Different
Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 7:29am
Excellent point, County Show grounds can have excellent facilities. Mind you I guess the RYA thinks that Northamptonshire is actually in the north.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 8:08am
Show grounds tend to have minimal facilities, be unheated and parking on grass. Mix that with a March show and it doesn't work.

Sports centres... Some of us remember those days. Happy amateur days if you like. Demands a bit more from C As to get a stand together, and used to end up with the show fragmented round different halls, it was pretty rubbish if you got pushed off to the outer darkness.
I fear that the extra work might be a struggle for some classes these days in which money seems easier to find than volunteer effort.

On the other hand there was much to like about those days but whether they'd match with today's spectator mentality. Not sure.

Posted By: gordon1277
Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 8:57am
Its interesting how we view the show but when you listen to Frank Brethwaite he thinks its one of the best two shows in the world Mets being the other.
Isnt there some venue near Warwick which holds big equestrian/ farming events we could use?
With the Phantom not going this year to have money for a new promo video it sounds like it was the right choice especially on Sunday.
Doesnt taking your Mum and her wallet to the dinghy show count as a treat for her day?

-------------
Gordon
Lossc

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 9:53am
Originally posted by getafix

I doubt something as grand or large as the NEC is needed.  By exhib hall standards Alli Palli is tiny anyway.  I would guess a college sports hall or a county show ground would have capacity enough, the main issue might be parking.

That is the beauty of the NEC there are so many halls of varying sizes that one could be found that is the right size.

I suspect it just has not been examined properly.....

-------------
Paul
D-Zero GBR188
Ex Rooster 8.1 '11'
Ex Laser 167534
Ex Blaze 655

Posted By: Time Lord
Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 9:58am
There is a 'little' showground at Stoneleigh just south of Coventry which would be ideal. Plenty of car parking and exhibition halls all on the flat and with even some of the car parking undercover in the old Royal Show cattle sheds.

Trade shows are regularly held there and it is all on the flat - no thigh crippling climb up and down to Ally Pally. Excellent motorway access (M40, M6) within minutes; good train connections from Coventry.

As RYA would view this as the north, why not a northern dinghy show and allow the London one to whither away. Would get to an entirely different audience.

-------------
Merlin Rocket 3609

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:18am
The reason believe it or not the dinghy show is at the current venue is probably down to me, it's a long story but if we're ever in a bar together I'd happily recount it, but at the time Ally Pally was far cheaper than the NEC and London and SE centric attracts more folk than the NEC unless it's to do with cars and or beer.

Most 'active lifestyle' shows do better in and around London, take the Ski show as another example, the London Show rocks the midlands shows suck, from an exhibitor viewpoint and Northern editions of southern shows are normally loss making for the bigger exhibitors, although at retail level they get use to dump stock and turn some money over off season.

As to other venues we used to go to a trade event at Telford where there were just about enough hotel beds to cope, and it wasn't too pricey and you had Iron bridge nearby in which you could stay, that might work. Then there was another surf show held down in Exeter that wasn't too expensive to run could also work and there was a place just outside Bath that we used to exhibit at, also not to pricey, but and here's the rub, none of these were public shows, most were trade events where folk had to go for commercial gain, I doubt you'd get classes trucking all over the UK.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:26am
Getting back to the Dinghy Show and what's wrong, it lacks Jenny Curry, she was always there to sort things, I don't even know who is in charge of the show these days, I suggested to kevin he get an announcement made that he was about to cut the birthday cake, not a big deal to bung a twenty second thing over the tannoy. Do you think he could get it done, he was shuffled from pillar to post, not one bit knew what the other was doing, it's a farce, no key organiser to make things happen.
In Years past as you arrived there would be stuff gong on outside, Volvo's etc then in the palm court there would be a big display the vibe would be palpable before you even got in the door. Now? Flat as leaven bread only the price has any self raising element.

-------------

Posted By: Roger
Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:31am
Originally posted by iGRF

The reason believe it or not the dinghy show is at the current venue is probably down to me, it's a long story but if we're ever in a bar together I'd happily recount it, but at the time Ally Pally was far cheaper than the NEC and London and SE centric attracts more folk than the NEC unless it's to do with cars and or beer.

Most 'active lifestyle' shows do better in and around London, take the Ski show as another example, the London Show rocks the midlands shows suck, from an exhibitor viewpoint and Northern editions of southern shows are normally loss making for the bigger exhibitors, although at retail level they get use to dump stock and turn some money over off season.

As to other venues we used to go to a trade event at Telford where there were just about enough hotel beds to cope, and it wasn't too pricey and you had Iron bridge nearby in which you could stay, that might work. Then there was another surf show held down in Exeter that wasn't too expensive to run could also work and there was a place just outside Bath that we used to exhibit at, also not to pricey, but and here's the rub, none of these were public shows, most were trade events where folk had to go for commercial gain, I doubt you'd get classes trucking all over the UK.

http://westpointexeter.co.uk/
Westpoint Exeter - Very doable, plenty of room and just off M5, rail only to center of Exeter so would have to run buses (not ideal), loads of car parking though.

http://www.bathandwest.com/
Bath and West Showground - Non starter, difficult access, not enough covered room and parking on the grass in March is bad news.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 11:45am
What we need is an exhibition facility with water access. We've done small shows on Willen Lake in Milton keynes for example, or the original snowdome had a lake opposite it but doubt either have the space inside.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 12:15pm
Having an on the water element is a nice idea, but I think the logistics defeat it. When I've seen on the water trials of boats it seems that its often a struggle to get much more than 10 people per boat per day. For Laser or RS, OK, maybe bring 10 or 20 new boats, sold off as show specials at the end of the weekend, but for the average class association it probably means at least two extra show quality boats, plus enough extra volunteers to support the boats on land and waters edge, possibly crews too, in order to get maybe 20 trial sails. Then you've got to pay insurance, and somehow deal with the inevitable collisions.

Then you've got to figure in changing facilities for some hundreds of people, plus the clutter of those hundreds of people carrying sailing gear round the show all day. Then the classes will worry about weather. If its really light the performance boats will fear people will be put off, if its strong the owners will be panicking about breakages from the ham handed. If its chucking down with rain or freezing cold the class volunteers will freeze, not to mention reduced turnout...

Too many classes struggle with getting their act together for the show anyway, I fear that trying to introduce an on the water event would spectacularly increase the complexity of the event, beyond the capacity for many classes to manage.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 12:19pm
Which was why that FOM we had was not a bad embryonic idea, each day a couple of races in your own boat and the last race of the day your swapped and in between races you could take whatever you liked out, if you want a return to the original muckers and messers concept of class gatherings, I think that's the way it should go.

-------------

Posted By: andyk
Date Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 11:01am
So the Dinghy Show attracted about 8000 visitors....about the same as for the past few years.
How many dinghy sailors currently active in the UK? Still about 1000 clubs, average membership maybe 300...do the maths.
Not only is the show not attracting the numbers it ought to, but considering that it advertises itself as the formost, the biggest and the best dinghy show in the world, the post event  coverage is lamentable.
For the 290,000 who for one reason or another cannot get there, ( believe it or not, London is not the centre of the universe, honest )  there is no way of knowing what was there, who was there,  no pictures even. Incentive to attend next year....I don't think so
Suzuki will not be happy, and Yachts and Yachting, who consider themselves to be the foremost sailing magazine should be totally ashamed of their non-coverage.
Almost nothing on line. Where are the videos, the interviews? Apart from an occasional class association blowing its own trumpet, the Show was almost a non-event.
Come on guys, get a grip, get yourselves sorted, or give up

Date Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 11:04am
I think you should wait for the magazine to be published before criticising them for their coverage!

Posted By: andyk
Date Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 11:06am
Coverage in the paper version has, for the past few years been equally lamentable.
I seem to recall less than 10 pages, over two issues last time

Posted By: Kev M
Date Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 11:11am
I think waiting for a magazine doesn't really work these days Jim. The multi media content should all be out there on the internet by now in my opinion.

For example, contrast the coverage of the dinghy show with Pistonheads coverage of the Geneva motor show which happened days apart.

-------------
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 1:39pm
strange i saw loads of coverage from various suppliers and class associations  on social media platforms, i thought how much better its gotten with the "live" feeds now.  conversely i don't subscribe to piston heads and didn't see any content from Geneva, they must be doing it wrong...

If you look in the right places you'll find a rich vein of content, just because its online doesn't mean it falls into your lap.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/OJSPhoto" rel="nofollow - ojsphotograpghy
https://www.youtube.com/ojsphotography/" rel="nofollow - youtube

Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 1:56pm
The post event coverage is a bit weak. I didn't attend this year due to another commitment but am very interested to see what went on, but it's no where. Last year having spent a whole day on a stand I was keen to see the pics from around the show. I contacted Mr Gruitt on social media to see when he was going to provide a slideshow but he implied that he was putting something together for a publication and I'd see it shortly but nothing! This year I've seen nothing so far other than the grumbles about the Flying 10.

The expectation is that media will be available instantly, after all I guess many people came back from the show, dumped all their pics on Flickr etc. And shared with their mates. Media businesses like Y&Y need to be going one better than your local club amateur photographer and getting the content out almost live.

-------------
Graduate 2928
OK 2071

Posted By: Kev M
Date Posted: 08 Mar 17 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Oli

strange i saw loads of coverage from various suppliers and class associations  on social media platforms, i thought how much better its gotten with the "live" feeds now.  conversely i don't subscribe to piston heads and didn't see any content from Geneva, they must be doing it wrong...

If you look in the right places you'll find a rich vein of content, just because its online doesn't mean it falls into your lap.

Silly me for thinking that I might be able to go to a news source for some journalistic content on the biggest annual trade show rather than the puff piece PR stuff pumped out by suppliers (and to a lesser extent CAs) scattered across the internet.

There's no subscription to Pistonheads, it's just a website you visit when you want to read about car stuff, and it has a forum tacked on the back of it.  I could draw a few parallels with the setup here, one key difference though is the Y&Y website "news" content is predominantly user/supplier generated and on PH it's predominantly internally generated.

-------------
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 17 at 7:52am
Nice Moth interview. Especially the elderly chap looking at the boat during it!

-------------

Posted By: Neptune
Date Posted: 09 Mar 17 at 8:43am
There are quite a few video interviews from the show on  http://Vrsport.tv" rel="nofollow - http://Vrsport.tv

-------------
RS300, ex Musto Skiff

Posted By: tgruitt
Date Posted: 09 Mar 17 at 11:52am
Originally posted by craiggo

The post event coverage is a bit weak. I didn't attend this year due to another commitment but am very interested to see what went on, but it's no where. Last year having spent a whole day on a stand I was keen to see the pics from around the show. I contacted Mr Gruitt on social media to see when he was going to provide a slideshow but he implied that he was putting something together for a publication and I'd see it shortly but nothing!

I was at the show filming with Mark Jardine, two videos went up on the Saturday with 5 or 6 viewable on Y&Y.com at the moment.

I do not recall any social media contact about a slideshow, I wasn't photographing the show so woulnd't have ever agreed to that.

-------------
Needs to sail more...

Posted By: Oli
Date Posted: 09 Mar 17 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Kev M

Originally posted by Oli

Silly me for thinking that I might be able to go to a news source for some journalistic content on the biggest annual trade show rather than the puff piece PR stuff pumped out by suppliers (and to a lesser extent CAs) scattered across the internet.

There's no subscription to Pistonheads, it's just a website you visit when you want to read about car stuff, and it has a forum tacked on the back of it.  I could draw a few parallels with the setup here, one key difference though is the Y&Y website "news" content is predominantly user/supplier generated and on PH it's predominantly internally generated.

Your right of course, and perhaps Y&Y should bring all those videos together in to editorial pieces for those that cant find or bother to look for source material.

The overall performance of the manufacturers and class associations on media content has improved, still along way to go though.  It would require a sizeable and well oiled team to cover the show with decent content over two days.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/OJSPhoto" rel="nofollow - ojsphotograpghy
https://www.youtube.com/ojsphotography/" rel="nofollow - youtube

Posted By: craiggo
Date Posted: 09 Mar 17 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by tgruitt

Originally posted by craiggo

The post event coverage is a bit weak. I didn't attend this year due to another commitment but am very interested to see what went on, but it's no where. Last year having spent a whole day on a stand I was keen to see the pics from around the show. I contacted Mr Gruitt on social media to see when he was going to provide a slideshow but he implied that he was putting something together for a publication and I'd see it shortly but nothing!
I was at the show filming with Mark Jardine, two videos went up on the Saturday with 5 or 6 viewable on Y&Y.com at the moment. I do not recall any social media contact about a slideshow, I wasn't photographing the show so woulnd't have ever agreed to that.

Tom, I sent you a Facebook message asking if you were going to put your photos up from the show, but that's by the by.

The point I was making is that often the sailing community want to see the pics even if they were at the show, because it's easy to miss stuff. It's also good to start discussions around specific boats or features on boats.

-------------
Graduate 2928
OK 2071

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com