URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11512
Printed Date: 24 Oct 17 at 3:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BAR and the America@s Cup 35th Edition
Posted By: catmandoo
Subject: BAR and the America@s Cup 35th Edition
Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 3:28pm
Cant believe this hasnt generated any response on here :

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/176835/Ainslie-launches-British-Americas-Cup-Challenge" rel="nofollow - http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/176835/Ainslie-launches-British-Americas-Cup-Challenge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sailing/27776371" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sailing/27776371

so heres a start :   if anyone can do it in blighty Bens yur man BAR none ;) 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: kneewrecker
Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 3:42pm
80m - doesn't strike me as enough money to be brutally honest.  But nothing like a sporting and commercial challenge where it feels right to back the underdog.  

Where's the capital coming from, SA is full of promise for Red Bull?  Has that been announced yet?

I see Linklaters are chucking in some Pro Bono.... that will inevitably come in useful in due course. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 3:46pm
Btw - if Spain can have an ex-Olympic Yachtsman as their next king, why can't we have King Ben instead of the Polo playing fop?

The cut of his jib is far better than her hubby.... they'd look good together...

-------------

Posted By: sandgrounder
Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

Where's the capital coming from, SA is full of promise for Red Bull?

"Led by Sir Charles Dunstone, the team of Investors and Board Members is formidable. They include Sir Keith Mills, Lord Michael Grade and Lord Irvine Laidlaw. They've set a budget of 80 million, 'give or take' as Sir Keith put it."

Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 4:15pm
Sailweb's reporting only 40% committed so far... 

"The budget target is around 80 ($134) million, a figure of 40% of this already raised has been mentioned."

-------------

Posted By: getafix
Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 9:26pm
three knights of the realm, the world's most photographic princess and a vague promise of "F1 boffin also likes sailing"... what the hell is not to like?

.... come on Blighty, come on the Lions, come on Sir Ben.... LOVING THIS! 

...once the actual BS stops and the sailing starts, what we need is a Danish/French/Johny-foreigner fella to wind the big lad up (failing that a badly helmed press boat will do) and probably some kind of improbable "he can't possibly win it from there" type of scenario, throw in some GBR olympians, possibly a horsey princess or two (but on boats, even if just for a mo), some confused looking royal correspondants, a few fawning breakest news girlies ("oh ben, I'm sure you will win" <bat eyelids, bat eyelids> and of course, some over-excited american commentator types (none of that under-stated Andy Green stuff or god-forbid-but-no-offence-meant Rob Walker) and what have you got....

.... the big fella, with the auld mug, stepping ashore at the Tower from his silver yacht to get a frickin big gong from the grateful nation (while prince Philip works out how to bolt the auld mug down to the RYS bar so the yanks can't have it back) and a fly over with some spitfires, or some'at similar

.... looking forward to itWink

Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 9:32pm

Btw - if Spain can have an ex-Olympic Yachtsman as their next king, why can't we have King Ben instead of the Polo playing fop?

The cut of his jib is far better than her hubby.... they'd look good together...

Sir Ben is doing "smug mode" big time there.... no offence chap, just calling it the way it looks :-)

Posted By: Kev M
Date Posted: 10 Jun 14 at 9:52pm

Is Sir Ben the next Will Carling?

-------------
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.

Posted By: Pierre
Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 9:13am
Tend to agree on the money front.  80 mill budget sounds tight this far out from the event and only 40% promised so far.  I think the the talent on all fronts is there, but if they are scratching around for finance it'll kill it. Oracle just won't have that problem.

Posted By: Jamesd
Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 9:36am
I think the word on the grape vine is that Dunstone and Mills will put the money if it doesn't turn up. Which is probably why they are on the board desperately trying to find it. I'm not sure whether they will 'top the pot up' if a sponsor hands out a 80mil cheque. 

You are right though, 80 million doesn't seem enough. not for a long cycle and two boats, especially when you consider a crap F1 team is running on about $200 million a year. To put it into perspective though, Christian Ronaldo cost Real Madrid 80 million, Gareth Bale something similar. I can see where coutts is going trying to fit the whole event around the NFL season. Ainslie needs to drum up the interest in this country and get it broadcast on the BBC or SKY so that the television rights filter down through. 

Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Jamesd

I think the word on the grape vine is that Dunstone and Mills will put the money if it doesn't turn up. Which is probably why they are on the board desperately trying to find it. I'm not sure whether they will 'top the pot up' if a sponsor hands out a 80mil cheque. 

@TalkTalk customers, time to switch before the price increase LOL

-------------

Posted By: Mark Jardine
Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 10:07am
Having chatted to them yesterday, the money is there. There's no question of only 40% being raised so far - there is 80 million for this campaign and I don't think there's even as issue if more is needed. The financial backers have committed to this totally and are going to carry it through.

As to whether they can win, read my piece at http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/176838/Ben-Ainslie-Racing-Americas-Cup-launch" rel="nofollow - www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/176838/Ben-Ainslie-Racing-Americas-Cup-launch . The dice are loaded (and always have been) when it comes to the America's Cup, but this is a shaping up to be a very good shot at turning the tables.

I'm behind the team 100%.

Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 10:26am

Ainslie needs to drum up the interest in this country and get it broadcast on the BBC or SKY so that the television rights filter down through. 

There was a great Kiwi article for 34, written very blue collar, but basically said it didn't give a crap about the flamboyance of it all, or really what the tactics were.  It just said that they were backing Dean Barker and NZL because they were NZL- and that was enough to mean something.  

I'd love to find it again and I wonder whether Ainslie has the same good grace from his own country as Barker seemingly enjoyed from his.  As a fellow 'island nation' it would seem natural that we should have the same level of patriotism, but I just don't know.... the UK is more divided and unpatriotic than ever, anyone else notice even the pikey cars aren't decorated with UJs this World Cup???  

-------------

Posted By: Jamesd
Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 11:14am

Ainslie needs to drum up the interest in this country and get it broadcast on the BBC or SKY so that the television rights filter down through. 

There was a great Kiwi article for 34, written very blue collar, but basically said it didn't give a crap about the flamboyance of it all, or really what the tactics were.  It just said that they were backing Dean Barker and NZL because they were NZL- and that was enough to mean something.  

I'd love to find it again and I wonder whether Ainslie has the same good grace from his own country as Barker seemingly enjoyed from his.  As a fellow 'island nation' it would seem natural that we should have the same level of patriotism, but I just don't know.... the UK is more divided and unpatriotic than ever, anyone else notice even the pikey cars aren't decorated with UJs this World Cup???  

That is because during the world cup, we are English and not British. But yeah i have felt this world cup has been a lot quieter. 
I'm not sure i fully agree with it being unpatriotic.....look at what wiggins and froome did for cycling. I know a lot of people who do not have the foggiest about cycling but were really excited about it. Same with Murray and tennis.......I cannot stand him, but found myself cheering. 
It really is the perfect british story....some yanks stole a cup from us, and we are sending a knight to get it back. It will be a slog. unfortunately for Ainslie, he is british, so there will always be a nail biting finish and he is the underdog. Oh and it is sailing, and we have a lot of history with navys and sailing. I think it is about as british as it gets. I think even the chavs can get behind that if it is sold to them in the right way. Even better is that every brit loves getting one up on the yanks....almost as much as the aussies and the french....both of which Ben has to do before he can get there. 

Posted By: MerlinMags
Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 6:42pm
I am very excited about even the most whimsical of thoughts that the Cup might return to where it all began. And this isn't a whimsical thought; it's a solid one. I am behind BAR 100%.

However, I'm worried about what the past records suggest is likely to be possible. How many countries/teams have won at their first try?

Of course, it's not like Ben hasn't been out there on these big cats already! Several team members have cup experience at the highest level....just not under the BAR banner.

I must go read 'Born to Win' again!

Posted By: Rupert
Date Posted: 11 Jun 14 at 8:44pm
He even got to announce it on Radio 2 at peak listening time, so the wider interest must be out there, even if on here the AC is looked at with a pinch of salt - expensive toys for a very exclusive market. Personally, I'm looking forward to watching it all develop. Maybe it will bring a boost for beach cats in its wake.

-------------
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail

Date Posted: 12 Jun 14 at 8:45am
Rumour I heard was that if Red Bull put some readies in, then Dietrich Mateschitz would insist that this is an Austrian, at least joint Austrian challenge.  I bet that's a deal breaker for Serben.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 14 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Rupert

He even got to announce it on Radio 2 at peak listening time, so the wider interest must be out there, even if on here the AC is looked at with a pinch of salt - expensive toys for a very exclusive market. Personally, I'm looking forward to watching it all develop. Maybe it will bring a boost for beach cats in its wake.

No maybe for me, I'm thinking that launching a cat just before the AC kicks off next time would be a very shrewd move, looking forward to it

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com