Print Page | Close Window

Dart 18 vs Hobie 16

Printed From: Yachts and Yachting Online
Category: Multihulls
Forum Name: Dinghy multihulls
Forum Discription: For those who prefer two (or more) hulls to one!
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11431
Printed Date: 29 Mar 24 at 12:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dart 18 vs Hobie 16
Posted By: bicrider
Subject: Dart 18 vs Hobie 16
Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 1:50pm
Sailing on the south coast torn between a hobie 16 and a dart 18 been holding out for dart  but a hobie 16 has come up don't know what to go for wont be racing just for fun somtimes solo sometimes with a crew i am a fair size chap at 110kg  crew will vary. 

Replies:
Posted By: Owenfackrell
Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 3:30pm
I had a dart 18 and use to sail it solo. I'm 85kg and it was only in stronger winds did I suffer (and that's more to do with me than the boat). I would still have one and the only reason I don't is that I want some thing I could take down to the south of France easily so I have a catapult instead. I don't have an experiance of a hobie 16 to compare it to.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 4:20pm
Hi Owen
 I bet a catapult s ideal for that my dad looked at them about 20 years ago but i think there was not very many second hand at the time. are they any good in a rough sea? they always seam to ride very low to the water to me

Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 6:55pm
They do ride low and it's a wet ride but I have found mine ok in waves including sailing it in the med where the boat was coming out past the dagger boards before slaming back down. You right there are not that many but they do come up from time to time.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 6:56pm
I'm based near Southampton if you want to arrange to see one and have a go.

Posted By: Wee Man
Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 6:57pm
Hobie 16, most fun you can have with clothes on....once you've mastered it, I had one for a few years before moving up to an Hobie 18 which was boring & heavy in comparison. In big wind & waves it's an absolute hoot. Light winds it frustrated the hell out of me. Jib is powerful enough to tip it in if you get it on the wrong side in a tack, but you might need to back it to get it to tack. It'll capsize forwards, sideways & backwards if you get the trim wrong.
If you're looking at one, pick up one hull and see how much flex there is between the hulls as the pilons can be a bit wobbly.
If you're on a beach with a bit of surf there is nothing better.

-------------
Nacra Infusion F18

Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 7:24pm
Good evening Owen
thank you for the the offer but i not really after one of them it will be left outside at the local club and i don't trust the local yobs that have easy access to the boat park and i think an air fill boat would be to tempting for them to try and puncture. 

Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 7:30pm
Hi Wee man 
                   Sounds fun have looked on you tube and looks like you can get it back up quite easy is this true when your solo?

Date Posted: 14 Apr 14 at 8:14pm
I never sailed it single handed sorry, but yeah it was a hell of a laugh. As long as the mast is properly sealed and doesn't fill up it can be righted quickly....you could always fit a hideous blimp floats to the mast head for single handed sailing, but I didn't say that if anyone asks.

-------------
Nacra Infusion F18

Date Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 4:34pm
Purchased a dart 18 over the weekend any tips before first sail?

Posted By: shadeux
Date Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 5:28pm
Have you tried www.dart18.com ? You'll find lots of helpful info there.
Good luck

-------------
Bruce
Shadow002

Date Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 5:58pm

Have great fun with it, plenty out there to play with & get tips from.

-------------
Nacra Infusion F18

Date Posted: 22 Apr 14 at 6:16pm
As above. Have great fun on it. If you have only sailed monos before this then be aware that the rig will be slack and that they are much harder to tack, you need to be smooth with the rudder.

Posted By: ASok
Date Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 10:44am
Congrats. Good choice.

My tips would be to join the class association and use their resources. The website (dart18.com) has a few articles that explain technique very well. The class training weekend is well worth a look as well if you fancy a bit of coaching. I only attended my first after a few years of sailing the Dart and learned loads from basic rigging right up to racing them. I can recommend that weekend regardless of whether you are planning to race it or not.

My top tips would be - smooth on the helm, especially through tacks, keep to fore and aft trim level (don't hang off the back), don't fly a hull - fast is with the windward hull just about the water and don't let anyone assist moving the boat by dragging it by the toe loops - they can and probably will pull out of the rivet and are a pig to refit!

What sail number is it?

Date Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 1:05pm
Thanks everyone sail no. is 5054 come from worthing sailing club the guy said he had it a couple of season think he said he bought it from Essex or Suffolk way.but she looks in great condition Its a  special edotion "technical" i think off the top of my head.no damage on the skegs or spongelike hulls really happy hope to get out this weekend. if anyone has any history on 5054 i like to knowBig smile 

Posted By: ASok
Date Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 2:11pm
Enjoy. I don't know much about that era of boat unfortunately. There are plenty in the class that will help you with that. Stick a posting on the class forum.

Do you have insurance? If not, try WH Insurance for a quote. David races in the class and does a reasonable rate for them. He's also a fountain of Dart 18 knowledge!

Have a good weekend. Luckily its a short week eh?

Date Posted: 23 Apr 14 at 3:07pm
Todays job is sort the insurance out will try WH insurance looks a good price from the quick quote!!

yeah cant wait weather looks not to bad tides are right looking good happy days down side trapeze harness no longer fits me but my crew can still just squeeze in it 

-------------
Dart 18 5054 "Willy Flipit"
Finn K333
Yellow (faded) Pico "Willy Tipit"

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com