Forum Discription: Your thoughts on challenges to win the 'Auld Mug'
URL: http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11066
Printed Date: 19 Mar 24 at 11:30am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.665y - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Four races done
Posted By: oz man
Subject: Four races done
Date Posted: 08 Sep 13 at 11:13pm
Surprising lack of comments on here what does everyone think so far?

Replies:
Posted By: alstorer
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 8:24am
Missed the first three races. Saw the fourth. Despite not being a match-race fan, actuially really rather entertaining stuff. The boats are pretty evenly matched, and we're seeing actual tactical boat-on-boat racing.

-------------
-_
Al

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 9:09am
The lack of comments is likely down to lack of interest......

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: ifoxwell
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 9:11am
Fantatstic is what I say

Its what we always wanted these races to be but all doubted would happen.

Giant Cats doing 40+ knots and taking it to each other in a proper race.

Cant wait for the race

Ian

-------------
RS300

Posted By: laser193713
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 9:17am
I think the lack of comments is more likely to be due to the fact that everyone is watching the sailing instead!

Posted By: catmandoo
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 9:46am
Probably due to the previously verbous sceptics being too busy  helping them selves to a large dose of humble pie whilst watching the spectacular match racing . ;) 

-------------

Posted By: GybeFunny
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 11:40am
I think Shirley Robertsons comments at the press conference after the first day summed it up well, she thanked the skippers for the close racing and said that everyone had heard them all saying it would be close and no-one believed them, however everyone now believes them!
We get a night off tonight and then it starts again on Tuesday.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 12:38pm
Lack of interest! Really? I don't think I can remember more people standing by the edge of the water watching sailing than there is currently watching in San Francisco. 

Posted By: catmandoo
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 1:11pm
28500 spectators on the piers for race 1 , another 16000 in the marine park  never mind elsewhere, 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 1:32pm
Plus whatever were watching on you tube and tv.
Close racing,incredible boats and high speed I can totally understand the lack of interest.
I for one would certainly be rather watching a couple of 12 meter dinosaurs drifting arround at four knots!
Wink

Posted By: JimC
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by oz man

I for one would certainly be rather watching a couple of 12 meter dinosaurs drifting around at four knots!

Through binoculars of course as they are about fifteen miles out to sea...

Posted By: jeffers
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 1:58pm
Alas not everyone live in San Francisco and can pop down to take a look at what is happening in the harbour and a lot of other feel it is so irrelevant to Sailing as a sport that they just don't bother....

Just my opinion as always.

I wonder how many of the 30,000+ were actual sailors or socialites (think Henly Royal regatta for a similar analogy......)

-------------
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74

Posted By: Jack Sparrow
Date Posted: 09 Sep 13 at 2:03pm
I stand by my comments about the race track being one dimensional and at odds with the craft (in a purest racing context). But am pleased that the racing in the Cup IS so tight. Mainly because each boat seems to marginally out perform the other in slightly different areas. NZL seems quicker upwind. USA seems to go deeper at the same speed as NZL downwind (USA also seem to have worked out how to keep a slightly faster upwind boat behind them). And I stand by my other comments that I think mega fast team racing cats are fantastic to watch!

-------------
http://www.uk3-7class.org/index.html" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Class Website
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1092602470772759/" rel="nofollow - Farr 3.7 Building - Facebook Group

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a005e'

Invalid use of Null: 'Replace'

/forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 959