FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Name change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fudheid View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Name change?
    Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 8:56am
FOUND THIS SNIPPET ON THE WEB.......

news from laser world
NAME CHANGE: The waiting game is probably almost over. Most sailors just
want class legal parts to be easily available around the world and don't
mind if things stay the way they are. Others want a new class that is open
to as many sail, boat and spar builders as possible. This they hope will
create price/quality competition to benefit the sailors. These build
ers
will have to pay an annual fee to the new class organization, and a royalty
for every boat, sail or mast built. 

For the Laser to be relaunched under a new name and stay Olympic, it needs
ISAF's approval. ISAF's next ordinary conference is in Dublin, Ireland from
the 1st to 11th of November 2012. If a new name is asked for, and approved,
ILCA will have to immediately change its name to fit the new class name.
ILCA's world council representatives are expected to stay the same. 

Of course there is no time limit nor occasion to change the name, but as
the IOC is considered to be a very rigid organization, changing the name of
an Olympic boat at a closer date to the Rio games will be extremely
difficult. We wish everyone involved in the process of a better future for
the Laser a lot of luck, and trust that their number one priority will
always be to serve the sailor's best interests.

more here... or the same?? 
http://ymlp.com/zLl0tK

Edited by fudheid - 10 Oct 12 at 9:00am
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 9:55am
Possibly why things have been very quiet.... The Carbon topmast and radial cut sail have been ready for approval for at least 12 months if not longer but this has been delayed by the 'issues' in NA and Europe with regards to Laser Performance.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
doeywizard View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote doeywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 10:21pm
By bringing out this new mast and sail and people wanting other boat builders to build laser masts and sails, is this not just destroying the purpose of the laser? a strictly one design boat where every one knows they have the same kit and win on skill not checkbook. If people want a boat where parts are build by different builders to make them easier to get hold of get a solo or streaker. BTW I do think that the parts should be easier to get hold of but all through one builder.  
Topper 46148 for sale    
http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=276804
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 10:36pm
I should be wary about reading too much into that detail. I imagine the boat will comntinue to be as strict a one design as before, its just that the idea is to have a topmast that people won't bend in 20 minutes flat with the new over powered kickers.

But I'm amazed people are being so quiet about the name change thing. *IF* (and its a might big if) its true it means a 180degree turnabout from the ILCA from changing the rules to suit Laser Performance EWurope/Maclaren to changing the rules to support Global Sailing/Performance Sailcraft Australia.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 12 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by doeywizard

By bringing out this new mast and sail and people wanting other boat builders to build laser masts and sails, is this not just destroying the purpose of the laser? a strictly one design boat where every one knows they have the same kit and win on skill not checkbook. If people want a boat where parts are build by different builders to make them easier to get hold of get a solo or streaker. BTW I do think that the parts should be easier to get hold of but all through one builder.  

I hope you don't actually believe that is the case today!
kingdacks View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingdacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 12 at 4:18pm
It really depends, we wont really know till the next big Isaf meeting. ILCA have spent thousands of pounds on developing the new kit,it would be foolish not to distribute it.
If there was a name change what would it be ?
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 12 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by JimC

I should be wary about reading too much into that detail. I imagine the boat will comntinue to be as strict a one design as before, its just that the idea is to have a topmast that people won't bend in 20 minutes flat with the new over powered kickers.

But I'm amazed people are being so quiet about the name change thing. *IF* (and its a might big if) its true it means a 180degree turnabout from the ILCA from changing the rules to suit Laser Performance EWurope/Maclaren to changing the rules to support Global Sailing/Performance Sailcraft Australia.

well here's a totally objective stand point...

Global Sailing / PS Australia are endorsed by Kirby, they're a seemingly good company with a broad outlook on providing great boats for their customers.  (They distribute RS boats in Australia and don't see a conflict of interest... 'let the punter decide, they're both great and we'll support both as best as we can' attitude.)

Maclaren make strollers which chop babies fingers off (and whilst this is terrible), they then close down all communications and leave the affected product on sale here:

I know this might seem utterly irrelevant to some people, (it's only a Laser, buy Rooster anyway!)  but for the vast majority of sailors if they were forced to pick a side in a sh*t-fight, I reckon they'd ditch the amoral one.
kingdacks View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingdacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 12 at 4:32pm
Yes the austrailian builder endorsed by kirby would be the better option. There lasers are made better. An end to the dispute my bring the availablity of parts back to a normal level but also might bring the prices back to attainable levels which would end the replica problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply