FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

small boat instruments - help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chic View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote chic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: small boat instruments - help!
    Posted: 26 Aug 12 at 5:35pm
Inevitably, with three regattas coming up, our old Tacktick Speedmaster could be nearing its end. It has sometimes been reading both spurious speeds and depth, sometimes correctly, and other times reading nothing at all... I have tried re-wiring it but nothing seems to help.

We are at the point of giving up with it, but I'm shocked at the price of its Tacktick replacement - the Racemaster. Did I mention we don't have any electrics? The Racemaster seems to be the only device that has its own solar panel and seems to be overkill for the job, ie generating speed and depth info. Does anyone know anything about alternatives, or do they all require a 12volt supply? I'm reluctant to go down that route unless absolutely necessary. Whatever we do, we need to do it quickly as time is running out.

Any advice or opinions would be gladly received.

Unless anyone would like to sell me their old Tacktick Speedmaster?

Cheers

Chic
Van Mentz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Van Mentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 12 at 8:28am
Fit a NASA Target depth sounder powered by a Maplin 12v 1.3ah rechargeable battery. I fitted this to a Viper 640 a couple of years ago and it is excellent, smaller and lighter than the Tactic, transducer is in-hull too. Cost then £130-00 odd. For compass fit the one you like. Why bother with speed? But if you must - use a GPS system more accurate than a paddle wheel which is inherently inaccurate in any event.

chic View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote chic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 12 at 8:02pm
Thank you Van Mentz, it looks like we'll have to start using a battery whatever system we buy! The speed isn't purely for vanity as we are usually chasing target speeds. We already use a GPS system which is not useful for this as our sailing waters are seriously tidal, but the two together do give a rough indication of tidal strength... But the depth is a must as we also do some rock-dodging at low tide.
Van Mentz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Van Mentz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 12 at 9:40pm
Go for the 12v option: the Maplin battery we use is small (approx 1.1/2"x 1.1/2"x 4") weighs a few ounces and is bomb proof - we have submerged ours several times and it will still do a week's regatta without a re-charge; best to put it in a tupperware though!

If you want good advice on consumption etc give All Gadgets Marine Ltd a ring 01256 478000 allGadgets.co.uk I found them very helpful and they came up with the solution I advocate. 
 Post Reply Post Reply