FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning anodised alloy mast?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Andymac View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning anodised alloy mast?
    Posted: 08 May 12 at 7:52am

Can anyone suggest a cleaning agent to remove the general muck and tarnish accumulated over the years, on an anodised alloy mast?

I had thought about 'Duraglit' (if you can still get it) or 'Autosol', or thinking a little laterally would something like Alloy wheel cleaner work? I appreciate that some 'cleaners' work on a chemical basis and need to be fully rinsed off, and others have an abrasive property.
I even thought of Coca-Cola but don't seem to have a 9m long trough and 50 gallons of the stuff to soak it in overnight!

Any advice before I waste money on an unsuitable product would be grateful.

Andy.
brys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote brys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 12 at 9:56am
Scotchbrite and loads of clean water and that special chemical "elbow grease".

As the anodic coating on the aluminium is in effect a form of "decorative corrosion" your light abrading it with material such as scotch bright will expose fresh material to become oxidised as you do the abrading.
If you go mad and remove too much anodic coating dont worry just a light waxing with something like Pledge polish will stop it going all grey powdery for a season, just repeat the treatment gently each year.

Of course if you want super high gloss polish finish then you will have to revert to metal polishes and electro mechanical buffing to achieve that American Airlines Mirror finish alloy look.
Never enough time for sailing
Ian29937 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 12 at 10:40am
I always limited myself to a green scourer and some soapy water to remove extraneous dirt
 Post Reply Post Reply