FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slingsby Sailing World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
steve123497 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote steve123497 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slingsby Sailing World Cup
    Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 10:26am
So Slingsby breaks his mast in the medal race, gains 22 points that he can't discard and goes from a comfortable first to an undeserved fifth. Discuss.
Contender443 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 11:04am
Those are the rules he is sailing too so I guess it is just tough. However if the equipment was supplied by the organisers can he claim redress or is it the same risk everyone takes?
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Lukepiewalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lukepiewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 12:51pm
Doubt it's supplied equipment at SOF. I suppose he could try to claim redress.
Ex-Finn GBR533 "Pie Hard"
Ex-National 12 3253 "Seawitch"
Ex-National 12 2961 "Curved Air"
Ex-Mirror 59096 "Voodoo Chile"
timeintheboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timeintheboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 1:29pm
What's the alternative?
Like some other things - sailing is more enjoyable when you do it with someone else
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by timeintheboat

What's the alternative?

Go back to what almost everyone else uses in sailing - the last race is the same as all the others, and can be discarded. Why should a broken mast in the last race be worse than a broken mast in any other?

Under what they use now, I'd say it is tough luck. Winning with a day to spare suddenly becomes even more valuable.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
steve123497 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote steve123497 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 5:00pm
It's definitely own equipment. See boat numbers, plus I have a nephew involved, (only managed a 15th Smile). It just seems to me to be unrealistic to eventually base the whole thing on one race. But, I suppose that's the rules they all play by. 
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 5:02pm
although i dont entirely agree with these modern day winner takes all final races isaf and the americas cup have adopted of late (they do have their quirks), at the end of the day everyone is sailing to the same rule and if its a freak breakage then its unlucky and hey ho on you go, if its through neglect (rather unlikely in this case) then tough you should of looked after it. 
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 12 at 5:18pm
It's a bit like one false start and you are out in athletics. Not fair on the athletes as they cannot make one mistake. All because TV demands it.

Most of us don't like it and would be quite happy to go back to the good ol' days.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
bustinben View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bustinben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 12 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Originally posted by timeintheboat

What's the alternative?

Go back to what almost everyone else uses in sailing - the last race is the same as all the others, and can be discarded. Why should a broken mast in the last race be worse than a broken mast in any other?

Under what they use now, I'd say it is tough luck. Winning with a day to spare suddenly becomes even more valuable.

The medal race can't be discarded.  Also, he would have started the regatta with a brand new mast (probably), and you're not allowed to change masts once you've measured in.

He should sue the mast supplier (laser) for consequential losses ;)
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 12 at 7:05pm
I was describing the alternative, Ben. Which is remarkably like what the rest of use use all the time...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply