FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Return to sailing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gbrspratt View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gbrspratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Return to sailing
    Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 1:06pm
With the decline in sailing numbers effecting most clubs, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep club racing alive?
Contender443 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 1:59pm
Well at Lancing we have had a significant increase in membership this year. Done by offering club boats, have a go days with special offers on the membership if you join on the day, increasing peoples awareness of the club.
This was then followed up with buddy days where we help the new members find their feet. Generally we all help each other got afloat and off the water in what can be difficult launching and recovery conditions.
Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 2:16pm
I am sure Nessa will comment more about Hunts as she has more inside knowledge than me....

But it is clear the volume of new members and new sailors is having a very positive impact on the club.

We have a waiting list for the dinghy park now and boats which are 'abandoned' or where we feel we are just being used as cheap storage there is contact being made with the members in question.

Things definitely look good and overall i think racing numbers are on the increase.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
fudheid View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 2:27pm
what about the unused dinghies? our club has a full dinghy park, but only 20% (at best) race, the rest sit rotting.
Are there any amazing ideas that people see at clubs that help/encourage more activity - it seems we have been infected with that most dangerous virus ..............

.........APATHY! We have a very active yoof rya training, but they don't seem to pass on to club racing. Do they not teach that in the RYA anymore?..............

It seems that time pressures mean people want different sorts of racing (or would rather non competitively sail together Wink) a bit like everyone wants a slightly different boat. 
How do other clubs maintain their fleets? does it come down to a small group badgering others onto the water or do prizes/ close fleet racing/ lunatic boats make a difference?

Any answers to Mr R. Carr at RYA LOL 
please post here we are trying to sort out a club that has sat on its laurels, but how best to do it?
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 11 at 3:58pm
At Netley we have seen a huge boom in Dart 18 numbers. This is largely due to a small group of very vocal and enthusiastic members. They encouraged new boats into the club (including me and I am 1hr15min away) and have infiltrated the committee making new arrangements to ensure that the racing is cat friendly.

This has had the knock on effect of improving racing for all by splitting the starts for dingies and cats - keeping both breeds of sailor happy. Also, the improved arrangements for cats mean that we regularly have 10 dart 18's racing together on a Sunday, plus Dart/Sprint15's, A-Class, F18 etc.

As a Dart class we now hve things the way we want it - great racing on a great stretch of water, competition between us all which improves performance at national events, great social, training etc.

Enthusiasm is self fulfilling. You need to put a decent amount of energy in to getting things going, but that will hopefully encourage other enthusiastic people and they will help to continue driving things along. I do think the enthusiasm was already there at Netley. I was just lucky it went down the D18 route and not toa different class.

Post Reply Post Reply