FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rule 28.1 protest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RS400atC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rule 28.1 protest
    Posted: 13 Oct 11 at 10:26pm
Were all the marks rounding marks?
SI's should be clear on this.
If so the distance sailed should be the same.
If not, i.e some are passing marks, it's a farce and there really should have been a protest.
Most yacht races started from committee boats rely on courses created shortly before the start, to get a beat, so posting on notice board ashore is not going to wash. Also yachts often do not start from the home club, being based in various marinas etc.

Agrieved parties should protest or shut up.
If they had reason to believe the yacht would retire, then it did not, that may be sufficient reason to extend the time limit, as per last sentence in R61.3.

Some clubs use the notation that all marks are to port unless indicated otherwise, so it's easy to see why this happened.
Quite a bit of yacht race management is like this i'm afraid.
chrisarnell1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisarnell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 11 at 7:15pm
All the marks were rounding marks.
Boat A rounded all the marks - nothing was missed - so any time gained as a result would be minimal.
The courses are usually pre-set so the RO normally says "course A" or something and all the sailors do is refer to the sheet that has course A.
In this case he set the course while at anchor in the bay - so it wasn't published before the fleet got afloat. Pretty sure that the course was shown before the warning signal. (I wasn't there)
VHF is used as a means of communication with the fleet - this is in the SI's - but the course must be shown on the committee boat too.
It seems that he may have written the port or starboard roundings on the board (at the time or later) but they weren't very legible. I don't know whether the other boats got their course information from the blackboard or over the VHF radio.
Because the hearing hasn't taken place we might not get all the facts.
Suffice to say that any protest submitted now is almost certainly going to be thrown out without much of a hearing because none of the yachts informed Boat A they were going to protest or flew a red flag. In fairness to Boat A I can't see how we can proceed with a hearing under these circumstances.
This discussion topic has been really interesting and useful.
One thing I learn from incidents such as this is that its better to protest and deal with a grievance immediately than let it simmer afterwards. If you're not going to bother with a protest - don't bother writing to the class captain and don't bother sulking afterwards.
I suspect this race will be the subject of bar talk and strained relations for some time to come!
RS300 393
OK GBR 21
chrisarnell1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisarnell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 11 at 11:45am
Postscript to the above.
We photographed the blackboard that had the course displayed. It's a bit smudged but you can see how the "port / starboard" roundings were written. Not sure if they were added at the time or after the confusion began.
We do have a protest to hear - very likely to be ruled invalid at the hearing owing to the lack of a protest flag. But I have to say I have some sympathy with any skipper who claims he couldn't see the course clearly...

RS300 393
OK GBR 21
Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 11 at 2:43pm
Totally agree with the sentiments of protesting immediately....there is another thread in the dinghy section about protesting (or lack of them).
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 11 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Stuart O

Totally agree with the sentiments of protesting immediately....there is another thread in the dinghy section about protesting (or lack of them).

Don't whinge if you're not going to protest, but do give diplomatic feedback to the organisers to help get things right next time.

And all rounding marks should be to port unless there is an overpowering reason for a starboard rounding! (please!)
fudheid View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote fudheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 11 at 6:05pm
Nothing to do outside time limit unforunatley, the results must stand.
Agree with the post about intending to protest and notifying the RO this at least gives you more time to talk it through get evidence etc....
After notifying the Ro and Protest comittee we get 1 week to organise ourselves before the hearing- generally in this time it gets sorted with whoever retiring.
Very occasionally it gets to the PC
Cheers you

only me from over the sea......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12