FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TO withdrawal and useless Y&Y coverage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
blueboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TO withdrawal and useless Y&Y coverage
    Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Gael

Quite simply; the story broke as we were printing the magazine, most of the pages were already at the printers, hence there was nothing in the main magazine, the news pages were finished but pulled them back to  put a brief story on last minute - perhaps we should have flagged it as such, but it was either that or ignore it until the following issue... unfortunately deadlines don't always fall in the most convenient place!

Thanks for the explanation. The press release was Oct 1st and the online version of the magazine was released 15th Oct. So that's two weeks delay between freeze on editorial content and the magazine in the hands of the readers. I have to say I'm surprised it is that long.
I luv Wight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote I luv Wight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by blueboy

Maybe. On the other hand they worked together on the 1851 reprise event at Cowes Week into which it appears both TO and BMWO poured considerable money and effort.

But it wasn't very interesting though was it?
From Cowes, you could just about see the sails in the far distance. Live coverage on the net was not much better with some vid feed of them sailing along, but the most 'interesting' bit was the virtual spectator, which at least showed who was in front - but why would you want to watch someone elses 2 hour video game?
And a restart 'cos one boat got in front, in an attempt to make it look better when they got back to Cowes Thumbs Down

Just compare with the  X40's racing just off the beach... ( and on the beach in one case Shocked  )

http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk
Andy P
foiling Int Moth GBR3467
Freedom 21 Codling
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 10 at 11:50pm
There's probably lots of little tit-bit rumours they could throw at us to grab our attention but is that the kind of article they want to offer??

I must say, I've often wondered if sailing being the small world that it is, is a good thing or a bad thing?  I'm willing to bet that Y&Y have a good friendly relationship with all the top sailors and governing bodies within UK and so would feel bad to reveal any back room gossip about things that are going on.  There's no way I'd print a negative article about a friend, but then I'm not in the journalism profession.  
There's certain things I've heard recently from extremely reliable sources but I realize that me telling others about it really doesn't help the people actually involved, and so am keeping my mouth well and truly shut.  (nothing to do with anything as fancy as the AC)
So maybe on morals Y&Y choose not to let on certain 'gossip' style info and in many ways that makes me happy.  I don't want SUN newspaper style reports anywhere near Y&Y, however I don't think it would harm them to have an opinion every now and then.  Though of course, I'll always prefer the absolute and unquestioned facts over any kind of "I love the sound of my own voice" opinions being flouted around.  

Edited by Doug.H - 22 Oct 10 at 11:53pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 10 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Doug.H

...over any kind of "I love the sound of my own voice" opinions being flouted around.

After all we have people like me on forums for that...
Laser 173312 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 10 at 12:13pm
Could be TO just wanted to quietly fade away. Their results were hardly setting the sailing world alight.
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 10 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Gael

Quite simply; the story broke as we were printing the magazine, most of the pages were already at the printers, hence there was nothing in the main magazine, the news pages were finished but pulled them back to  put a brief story on last minute - perhaps we should have flagged it as such, but it was either that or ignore it until the following issue... unfortunately deadlines don't always fall in the most convenient place!

So that was the excuse for last month. And this month we also have....nothing. There's two pages from Bob Fisher telling us all about the local politics of San Francisco, which he appears to find fascinating, but absolutely no comment on the fact that the British aren't going to be there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12