FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Race Crew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race Crew
    Posted: 05 Jun 05 at 10:52am

I am indeed full of enthusiasm: for racing as a hobby.

ali_charlton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ali_charlton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 05 at 8:34am

All that has been said so far is true, from my own experiences and many of my friends that have worked professionally in sailing. A tiny minority have done very well, skippering large private yachts, charter fleet yachts (clipper/BT challenge etc) and America’s cup crew. The vast majority how ever have either worked along side in sail making, rigging, boat building, shore teams for campaigns or have done it for a couple of years got completely fed up with polishing boats and be treated badly by owners. As somebody who was in a position to follow this route I am glad to have got a dull career and bought my own boat instead.

wallynomore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wallynomore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 05 at 10:33pm
You could just pack your bags and head to the med, aim to get a full time job on a Swan, Wally, of if it blows your skirt up a classic, all these race competitivly in the Med in September and October. The Swans have a huge regatta and attract some big names and big crews. Hang in there, rub shoulders and who knows where you end up. Turn your life around and make your hobie and your passion into an earner in the sun. It is not easy getting your foot in but once in your future is your own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12