FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BMWO90 wing sail completed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Laser 173312 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Laser 173312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMWO90 wing sail completed
    Posted: 11 Nov 09 at 1:03pm

The streaming from Fox last night was super. You could see all these boats come shooting up the river and then spot the beast and come over for a butchers.

Got told off because the laptop fan was making to much noise. I had it in the lounge with the streaming on fullscreen.

I assume they'll take in out again tonight.

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 09 at 2:26pm
you tube....

link
lurker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 10:20pm
Ther really interesting thing is to see if they actually use it in the event. To overcome the risks of doing so it would have to offer a definite advantage over the best soft sail wing mast technology. The only recent experience of that being tested I know is detailed at http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/09/0810/ and it wasn't clear cut. And downwind advantage presumably won't count for much since it's not a una rig restricted class.
s.a.l.t.y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote s.a.l.t.y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 10:34pm

Wing sail - Day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg8_HrsHkt8&feature=relat ed

Edited by s.a.l.t.y
s.a.l.t.y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote s.a.l.t.y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 10:43pm

and now for day 3. my god that things fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyhGcXRq7SM&feature=chann el

craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 11:12pm
Its currently broken. But expected back in action tommorow or Wednesday
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 09 at 8:34am

Originally posted by lurker

Ther really interesting thing is to see if they actually use it in the event. To overcome the risks of doing so it would have to offer a definite advantage over the best soft sail wing mast technology. The only recent experience of that being tested I know is detailed at http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/09/0810/ and it wasn't clear cut. And downwind advantage presumably won't count for much since it's not a una rig restricted class.

Not sure that is a valid comparison.

On the AC boats, the sheet loads re massive to control the leach on these soft sails; alomost al this goes when moving to a wing as the leach is self-supporting.

It will be interesting to see if they add a screacher for down wind work; I've seen a couple of pictures where it appears they have "soft" sails on deck. 

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
lurker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 09 at 5:09pm
So would that suggest the boat would have to be designed as wing specific to gain the maximum advantage ? I mean it's carrying the structure to cope with the loads even if the wing negates the need.

Not sure if the old Stars n Stripes used to fly a hull - probably didn't need to bother racing a mono. But you do wonder how much damage would occur should the unthinkable happen and it went over. Not too any people have experience of handling 180ft wings after all...
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 09 at 9:43pm

Originally posted by lurker

So would that suggest the boat would have to be designed as wing specific to gain the maximum advantage ? I mean it's carrying the structure to cope with the loads even if the wing negates the need.

Not sure if the old Stars n Stripes used to fly a hull - probably didn't need to bother racing a mono. But you do wonder how much damage would occur should the unthinkable happen and it went over. Not too any people have experience of handling 180ft wings after all...

I think they would kill it if the wash it!!!

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12