FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Both must tack at the W mark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
damp_freddie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Both must tack at the W mark
    Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 9:34pm
Example from the friday nighter...both boats looked like they required to tack , one ahead tacked onto port in the 3 boat zone. I pinned them out being on STB and then shot the mark, without passing head to wind.

Given I couldn't shoot the mark, do they only get to call room when I pass head to wind?

The latest rules seem to do a good job on making STB precedent, but with both boats required to tack I like to think this one through with some help of you people! (

So both are coming in, and both need to tack twice to make it round- STB rounding, but any more comments on a port rounding?

Ok, so we had another example just below, which was however complicatedby having river banks and a leave-to stb rounding.

Edited by damp_freddie
gordon View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 8:40am
Your description is somewhat confused. Is this what happened.

Two boats on starboard are not fetching the windward mark. The boat clear ahead (A) passes beyond head to wind and completes a tack on to port inside the zone. The boat clear astern (B) luffs but does not pass beyond head to wind.

At this point boats are on opposite tacks ona beat to windward. Rule 18_ does not apply. A, on port, must keep clear of B on starboard (rule 10).

If B passes beyond head to wind she must keep clear of A until she is on a close hauled course (rule 13).

When B is on a close hauled course she will acquire a new right of way as she will be either clear ahead or overlapped to leeward. A must keep clear, and B must ive her room to do so.

If the boats are now, or become, overlapped rule 18.2a applies, and B as outside boat must give mark room to A. In this case A is inside boat overlapped to windward and she is entitled to room to tack.

If B is clear ahead, she has right of way and may luff as far as head to wind, as long as, when she changes course she gives A room to keep clear. However, if B passes beyond head to wind she must keep clear (rule 13).

Imagine all this as seen from an umpire boat, and you will understand why umpires have been known to be in need of a theraputic pint or two after a day on the water!

Gordon
Gordon
damp_freddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 10:01am
Thanks Gordie

Always worth going through it by reading out aloud, while I wait for a copy of elvstrøm explains...

It's pretty crystal in the new rules that you can pin people out by holding starboard until they yield!

I took a risk to do this and in a long keel classic had no problem shooting the mark...in a dinghy I would have tacked and let them go ahead under r 18
 Post Reply Post Reply