FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Pico

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
carshalton fc View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote carshalton fc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Pico
    Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 3:06pm

yer stickthin tell your bro to get a topper!!  then he can go racing with kids his own age!!

International 14 1503
stickthin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stickthin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 05 at 4:19pm
kk will do thanx guys(and gals)
Laser Radial 154747
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 4:38pm

If only the RYA hadn't gone topper mad.  All those lovely boat designs out there and england's early teens are stuck sailing tupperware ............. in order to get piles of training and a huge race circuit.

Meanwhile most of Europe's youth are sailing europes, laser 4.7s and splashes.  I believe the Aussies put their youngsters in 13ft skiffs, which sounds much more fun - but they do have warmer water.

Seriously, a race tuned topper is probably a decent boat - but do buy one that has been fixed for racing (centre main, new sail, proper ratios on the ropes etc etc).  There are a lot of soggy old tubs around.

I still think a Pico is more adaptable and more fun.  But if you want to race, you won't find many others to race against - plus toppers have about the same handicap and go faster in light winds - so they nearly always win. 

Edited by NickA
stickthin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stickthin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 5:53pm

Do u think a laser 4.7 would be more suitable with the room to grow?

or buy a topper now and move into a Laser Radial when he is heavy enough?

Laser Radial 154747
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by NickA

If only the RYA hadn't gone topper mad.  All those lovely boat designs out there and england's early teens are stuck sailing tupperware ............. in order to get piles of training and a huge race circuit.

Admitedly there are nicer boats, but the topper is the most accesable, cheap and popular class.

Meanwhile most of Europe's youth are sailing europes, laser 4.7s and splashes.  I believe the Aussies put their youngsters in 13ft skiffs, which sounds much more fun - but they do have warmer water

Seriously, a race tuned topper is probably a decent boat - but do buy one that has been fixed for racing (centre main, new sail, proper ratios on the ropes etc etc).  There are a lot of soggy old tubs around.

Agreed

I still think a Pico is more adaptable and more fun.  But if you want to race, you won't find many others to race against - plus toppers have about the same handicap and go faster in light winds - so they nearly always win. 

Pico is more adaptable, but it sail like a tank and is underpowered due to the ten tonne hull.

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 9:52pm

I'll never convince Harry here that there's anything to beat a topper!  But I'll bet he's sailing a laser 1 or a 29er within 2 years.

Laser 4.7 is a good (faster) topper alternative that it has a race & training circuit.  But you may have to buy a brand new 4.7 rig to go with a 2nd hand hull - then spend £300 on a 2nd hand radial rig a year or two on.  Topper route may end up cheaper and just as much fun.

In the end buy what you like.  Try some boats out - you don't have to buy everything you try!

Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 05 at 10:40pm

Lol im afraid for what he wants, you won't be able to convince me that a Topper isnt a good option either NickA !!!

But to actually get the boat in a tuned and fast state you need to keep the boat up to date with the race rig as the extra purchase etc can make the boat a hell of a lot easier in a blow and knowing that if you feel over powered, and cannot hike any further, you can yank on some more cunningham, kicker or outhall while you are planing along can make you feel less like you are going to fall in!

Also i think your bro might find that when he gets better he probably will want to do some class racing. As racing against boats which you can only race on PY can get a bit dull at times and the Topper circuit is Very friendly and welcomes in anyone and bugger me they have a lot of events going on (national, international and regional).

Harry i am still trying to get to Rutland this weekend  proving difficult

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 05 at 12:41pm

ok i know i am going to sound very anti RYA here (which im not) but does anyone else get annoyed with some of the choices they make.

In the youth catamaran squad the RYA seem to love Hobie and every boat they make a youth class is a Hobie. Last year they chose a Hobie as another youth squad boat even when the ISAF chose a French boat that Topper sell called the KL.

The RYA also chose the Hobie Tiger last year as the step between the Hobie 16 and  Tornado, how come they chose one specific F18 and not just any of the class?

Who is it that is influencing the RYA isnt it about time another company gets a chance!

Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 05 at 8:53pm

I think most of the frustrations about the Rya come from sailors who are older, or just finishing with the junior boats, when the kids sail them they couldn't care less on the whole untill their older.- practice in any boat is good practice!

NickA I think youre probably right that i'll be sailing a laser or a 29er in 2 years, but for the time being i'm taking advantage if the great topper circuit and RYA zone squad coaching, next year maybe a year out from the RYA route in a rs200 looks on the cards.

Looked for you Waverider, shame you couldn't make it was a great event, nice water, light winds sat., strong on sun., 140ish boats, well organised etc.!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12