FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

50 knots...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 knots...
    Posted: 27 Mar 09 at 12:31pm
Seems as if they finally got the breeze... This is about third hand though.

Hi All,

This is just a very brief note with more details to come - but essentially, we did it !

Macquarie Innovation powered down the Sandy Point speed course last night at an average speed of 50.43 knots. During that run, we hit a peak speed of over 100 km/hr and while the claimed average speed, which is about to be sent for ratification, will be reduced to 50.08 kts due to the tidal allowance, we have sailed our craft in excess of 50 knots.

It is the culmination of over 15 years of work by the team and their loyal group of supporters and once again, we wanted to pass on both our sincere thanks and congratulations to you for helping us to create a little piece of yachting history last night. As a result, we will be making a claim for a new class C record which will be just shy of the current outright world record (50.57 kts) held by a kite, but most importantly sets us apart as the only sailing boat in the world to complete a 50 knot run !

Once again, congratulations and many thanks for your help in getting us to our goal of 50 knots !

Regards,

Tim

Edited by JimC
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 09 at 1:18pm
Well done to them; but I hope Sailrockect goes one step further ...
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 09 at 10:22pm
Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 09 at 6:26am
Looks damn scary to me
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

Tornado_ALIVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tornado_ALIVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 10:47am

From Sheep Stations on SA

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=88550

Hope the boys are OK

Two weeks ago, Macquarie Innovation became the first boat to officially break the 50knot speed barrier over a timed 500m course with a run of 50.18knots. Congratulations to Simon McKeon and Tim Daddo after 15 years of blood, sweat and tears to finally achieve the holy grail of speed sailing - 50 knots.

This all happened at Sandy Point, Australia where the prevailing south-westerly blows off Bass Strait, over a narrow low-lying sand spit and onto a magnificent shallow inlet in a setup tailor made for speed sailing.

Simon, when not setting or breaking world speed sailing records, is just another yachtie down at our local club on Port Phillip Bay who gets around on his A Class on a Saturday afternoon. Bumping into him yesterday down the club, happened to mention I'd love to come down and watch their next attempt at going for the all-time speed record held by a French kitesurfer. Turns out the weather gods were smiling and that attempt was on for today! My son and I high-tailed it down to Sandy Point around midday to watch the beast that is Macquarie Innovation go at it.

We arrived to see a very well oiled support team prepare the boat and get everything set for the first run of the day around 2pm. We walked a kilometre down the beach to watch and stood just back from the waters edge. It was blowing dead offshore with a steady 20-22knots we reckon, (I'd like to get the official windspeed but this would be around the mark) with hardly a ripple on the water where MI was to sail over. In the distance, we saw MI leave the shore, bear off and start to gather speed. She sails a course with the crew's pod tracking the shoreline just metres from dry land. At about 500 metres out from where we were, she bears off a little more finding an optimum angle along the slightly curving shoreline and explodes with speed. In seconds, she thunders past, close enough we could have high-fived the crew if it wasn't for the thought of losing a hand in the process. Think of standing on the edge of a freeway and having a car come past at 100kph to get some idea of the speeds involved. Totally ballistic and beyond comprehension of what we normally associate with sailing.

That was Speed Run One. Won't know the speed until the Simon and Tim download the data this evening but the rule of thumb is when the crew pod leaves the water, they are doing 40+ knots. The pod was out of the water a lot!

Speed Run Two got underway about an hour later after the boat was towed back to is starting point and the 30 knot bullets that had started to come through had eased. We walked back up the beach to our vantage point which was about half way along the official course marked out for the day. I reckon it was blowing harder than during the first run - let's call it 25 knots. We watched MI peel off from the beach and rocket towards us. It's a magnificent "silent but deadly" chattering noise she makes over the water and whips past us. Disappearing into the near distance, I see the pod rise higher than I've seen before, maybe 2 meters off the water. Fair chance MI has been hit by a stray 30knot bullet. The pod crashes back into the water in a cascade of spray. I reckon at this point S&T are having a brown trousers moment on board. After "landing" the pod, MI starts to bear off, away from its normal course parallel to the shoreline and steers toward the middle of the inlet. I think this can't be good - pretty sure she is not designed to sail downwind. Sure enough as MI starts broad reaching, she trip over herself in one helluva a cartwheel. Lord know what speed she was doing when this happened but if I was Simon and Tim, I'd be adding a request to the World Sailing Speed Record Council to add into the record books an entry for the "Fastest Capsize / Cartwheel Performed by a Boat in Sailing History".

NB We didn't see MI after she was towed back to shore but from a distance looked in pretty good shape still once she was righted. Hope the damage was minimal and the guys live to fight another day.

Post Reply Post Reply