FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winches - ratchet vs 2 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tearinghairout View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tearinghairout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winches - ratchet vs 2 speed
    Posted: 27 Feb 07 at 9:12am
Hi all
I'm not sure if this is the right place to pose this question, but I couldn't find anywhere else.

Which is better. Single speed ratchet winches or 2 speed winches?

Originally I would have said 2-speed, but then I sailed on a yacht with 2-speed winches and always had trouble when the handle was in an odd direction like facing directly away etc.

Since then I have sailed on a boat that had 1 speed ratchet winches, and they showed me how to crank the handle through a 45 degree arc on the left side by basically leaning on it then pulling it back toward me.

I found I was able to get much more purchase using the single speed ratchet technique.

Now I am thinking about upgrading the winches on my own yacht with self tailing winches, but all the winches available in the size/power I want seem to be 2 speed.

Should I stuck with a 1-speed ratchet?

Thanks
Kevin
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 07 at 9:52am

What's the boat and are you racing or cruising?

The best technique for winching is to get your body crouching over the winch and use mostly leg and abdominal muscles. So the position of the handle doesn't actually matter. Using only arm muscles is slow. If you are cruising, that doesn't really matter but if racing it does.

If you were using the correct technique, you would probably find 2 speed faster and more convenient.

foaminatthedeck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 07 at 11:41am
Pumping a winchs is not the best thing for the internal bits of the wintch, what you choise depends on what you what to do sailing or racing and where on the boat you want the wintch to go. I have two speed for sheets and one speed for hayard winches.
Lark 2170
 Post Reply Post Reply