FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A new purchase a 59er

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sumo View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sumo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new purchase a 59er
    Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 5:50pm

Having sung the praises of the 59er in the past and having recently spent another week sailing one at Minorca, I have together with a friend bitten the bullet and purchased a rather fine used example from Ovingtons.

Vive la 59er

bovlike View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bovlike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 6:32pm

well done I am sure you will love it

Regards

Ian turnbull (59er nat champ 2003)

KennyR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote KennyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 7:45pm

Good shout. We bought one as well recently after a lot of deliberation. Fantasic machine, my wife loves sailing it and they seem pretty good value used. Seems to be the only boat to have if you are Finn sailor size and want to sail something fast and fun with your other half.

Our only two gripes have been that it is only let down by sub-standard blocks and ratchets from a well known UK manufacturer and the kite seems really hard to pull back into the chute. New set of Harken ratchets and blocks should sort the first issue out. Does anybody have any top tips regarding the kite & chute [heaps of McLube?]

Is there a UK racing circuit? [We're in Scotland]

BBSCFaithfull View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote BBSCFaithfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 06 at 11:42pm
On the 14 i pulled the kite shute inside out then coated it in prolube and then basically jus lubed the mouth of the sock and the bloks etc.
Hope this helps
Greatfully Sponsored By
www.allgoodfun.com
Int 14 GBR 1503!!
phantom871 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote phantom871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 06 at 1:05pm

Are they good at carrying weight?  I fancy one but being an ex hooker (rugby you dirty minded individuals) I am worried about being too heavy.

Its a toss up between one of these and a 505 and me hanging off the wire??????

If its bent pull harder
Sumo View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sumo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 06 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by phantom871

Are they good at carrying weight?  I fancy one but being an ex hooker (rugby you dirty minded individuals) I am worried about being too heavy.

Its a toss up between one of these and a 505 and me hanging off the wire??????

The ideal crew weight for the 59er is 145 to 180kg, which is as close to ideal as I'm going to get without sailing a keel boat, so I woudn't worry about being too heavy!

Post Reply Post Reply