FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Don’t Believe It !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
fizzicist View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fizzicist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Don’t Believe It !!!!
    Posted: 22 Jun 06 at 7:10pm

Apparently at Largs in 2004, during the RS300 open there was a couple of Offshore powerboats came blasting through the fleet.

I gathered it made a bit of an impression on the guys judging from their description of events a year later.

The fact that we'd all consumed about eleventeen pints at this point may also have helped the animated nature of discussions.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and
oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital
ingredient in beer.
tack'ho View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 06 at 5:02pm

I have 2 absolute favourites both from my time in Plymouth.

First one during a windy RWYC race the chairman of NCPs 100 foot super yacht 'Leander'  decides in anchor in the sound between the top and the bottom mark.  So imagine the look on the crews face as lots of yachts from J-24 upwards come hurtling downwind with the occasional broach thrown in for good measure and at the last moment either nip round the front or back (bow or stern for any of you nautically obsessed types!) of this pristine blue hulled lovely.  He had every right to moor there but being a professional the skipper decided to move over to cawsands bay from a while!!

2nd later

I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
tack'ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tack'ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 06 at 9:48am
The top one has to be the diver who sufaces in the middle of the J-24 European champs fleet in a f-4 with a pretty big sea running and holds up this little plastic A flag and starts shouting at these boats as they fly by with their spinnikers up.  To this day I have no clue where he came from, we couldn't see a dive boat and we were at least a mile out from the breakwater!  Again i think technically he does have rights but this was day 4 and a notice to mariners had been issued.  You gotta worry about some people   
I might be sailing it, but it's still sh**e!
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 06 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by jpbuzz591

They really are stupid.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity, in my opinion sailors should not engage in any 'conversation' with powerboaters as it always ends up with yelling and abuse just because of the distance involved. Any interaction should be carried out by the safety boat as it has more presence on the water and in most clubs looks official. Explaining what they did wrong is much more likely to stop them doing it again than yelling at them.

Originally posted by jpbuzz591

They shoudl have some test before they are allowed on the water at all.

Did you have to complete a test before you were allowed on the water? I doubt it.

I'm not picking on you jpbuzz it's just that your post seems to have distilled the sentiment of the thread.

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
vscott View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote vscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 06 at 1:55pm

I know I am sounding really old here but I can remember when we flew triangular flags when cruising and rectangular flags when racing - so you could always recognise a racing boat

These days there is just no way to do that. A new power boat owner who has never heard about racing - quite possible, it's not as if regular dinghy sailing gets media coverage, has little way of discovering about it. 

I speak as one who was once mown down by a massive gin palace in the wrong place - very scary at the age of 11.

Mk IV Osprey 1314 Think Again

Kielder Water Sailing Club
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 06 at 2:17pm
racing boats do have to fly a rectangular flag....
Needs to sail more...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234