FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SNAKES!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SNAKES!
    Posted: 01 Feb 18 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Eisvogel

Surely I can't be the only one who doesn't care what a boat's PY is when making a decision on what to sail in?

I used to be like that, now I wouldn’t buy without checking the PY, comparing it to active results at any given club and making sure there was semblance of boat-on-boat competition.

Edit: I actually cancelled my last boat order because of this reason

Edited by turnturtle - 01 Feb 18 at 1:08pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 18 at 1:12pm
I am not bothered either, I raced clubs Bahia Saturday, second in both races.
My own boats are Mirror, Enterprise and Minisail.
I find the Topaz variants and Firefly are biggest bandits.
RTFM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote RTFM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 18 at 1:45pm
Just reviewing the RYA Dinghy Show 2018 Show Guide. Only 15 clubs planning to be at this years show.  Is that a drop in numbers from previous years?
Nobby.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 18 at 2:01pm
But is it important for clubs to be at the show? In days gone by there little other way of finding out about clubs other than actually visiting or seeing them at the show. With websites and Facebook pages all of that info is ready to hand. Choosing your club is like picking it off a virtual shop shelf. You only then find out if you really like once you've committed, a bit like buying from Amazon other than there's no easy returns form.
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 18 at 3:48pm
I'm surprised that many clubs are there. Club memberships are local, so why promote at a national show? 

If you're looking to join a club, wouldn't you do a google search (or read Y&Y back in the day), then visit the ones local and chat to people around the club house? I wouldn't think of going to a national show.

Only reason I can think of for clubs is if they are in the business of attracting classes for national championships, then it would be a good place to show off your venue to class associations. 

Or if you have some sort of training centre or club boats, and want to make yourself available for builders to sell to you all day!

Edited by mozzy - 01 Feb 18 at 3:50pm
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 18 at 4:42pm
Having manned a club stand a few times, it has appeared to me that the vast majority of people cruising the aisles of the Ally Pally are exhibitors or sailors from the vicinity of the North and East of London, so I cannot see the benefits, especially when as has been previously pointed out, there is a great deal of volunteer fatigue.

Whilst it is a magnificent effort, I do wonder about the place for exhibitions in todays virtual and multimedia world, I cannot remember the last Boat Show or Dinghy Show that I attended as a punter.  Or any other show for that matter.
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819