FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Double Hander for Father / Son combo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Eisvogel View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Eisvogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double Hander for Father / Son combo
    Posted: 19 Jun 18 at 9:56am
We have L2000 as training boats, and the other day I took one out for our club racing with a beginner. I usually sail an Ent, and I did not really get on with the L2000 very well. I thought it was slow and heavy. Maybe that's just because as a training boat it has not been set up properly for racing, but I'd much prefer the handling of the Ent...
Enterprise 20361 (Eisvogel), Laser 102727 (Halcyon), Laser 121986
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 18 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Ardea

The RS200 is a world away from the twitchy monster this forum suggests it is.  However, the advice above is good.  Composite enterprises are rather good & L2000 are great for what you are looking for.  Both would be better for what you want than an RS200.  The L2000 will be faster, but more complex to rig than an ent. So getting from trailer to water will take longer, but it'll probably be better once on the water.

laser2000 py=1109
Ent py= 1116

doubt you would see a decently sailed Ent behind a L2000 in anything but survival conditions, or a long reach when the 2000 is 3 sailing
tomjv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomjv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 18 at 7:58pm
Last year I bought a Zuma (my first sailboat!) I like the boat. It's really easy to transport and rig. It sails well, even in light winds. It gets screaming in medium winds. The problem is, it's just too small for me to tolerate for long periods with my old knees. Also, it's way too tight with both me and my wife on board. The boom is kinda low and the design of the main sheet is poor (IMHO). It gets caught on my life jacket all the time. especially in light winds.

Pretty soon after, I wound up buying an Argo. We love that boat! Yep, it was expensive, but I'm gonna keep her, so I'm not worried about resail. I didn't want to buy something I have to work on. The Argo is plenty comfy for two adults or even 1 adult and 2 kids. The rigging is well thought out and top notch. It takes me about 30 minutes to rig. The most difficult part is dealing with those pesky split rings! OMG, I can't see them or feel them! The boat handles well.
I haven't capsized it yet, so I can't speak to righting her.
The furling jib is a pleasure.
It comes with a spinnaker which we haven't rigged yet.
It also has a one-line reefing system, which I haven't used yet either.
I'm no expert, but that thing is pretty fast when it gets going.

I wound up keeping the Zuma primarily for use on a small lake(300 acres) that we stay on. I trailer the Argo to larger lakes (miles long lakes!, like 7,000 acres).

I'm a brand new sailor, so take it from where it comes, but I think your son and you would LOVE this boat.
TomJV
TomJV
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 18 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Ardea

The RS200 is a world away from the twitchy monster this forum suggests it is. 

Really? Which world would that be, the planet rock'n rolla?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 18 at 8:30pm
One person's twitchy is another's responsive, thought we'd covered that.

I raced an Argo with a good L2/3 student crewing recently, and it went OK for an underpowered training boat. Whopped the 2000s, but then I'd have hoped to in a 2000, too. Once I stopped trying to sail it like a firefly, things went better!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567