FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trolley Dolly of the Year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Er-Indoors View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Er-Indoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trolley Dolly of the Year
    Posted: 26 Apr 16 at 10:23pm
Having been entertained by "Caravanners" show tonight I'm thinking what should a good sailing Trolley Dolly be able to do...?
Here are my top 10:
1) reverse dinghy into small sailing club OR forward through the streets of Looe.
2) assist with rigging and prep of boat upon arrival after a 3 hour drive, including
be able to tie at least 5 different Useful knots and undo those tiny round metal things on the ends of shackle pins with numb hands.
3) know course, flags and start times and be able to inform Helm immediately.
4) be able to launch Helm's dinghy with water not going over top of wellies.
5) be able to find launching trolley on beach among 100 others.
6) recognise Helm's actual boat sail from a distance of 2 miles, even when all dinghies are in same class.
7) fix an issue with dinghy within 3 minutes (preferably with all kit needed in pocket) so helm can carry on racing.
8) have appropriate hot drink and snack ready for when helm comes ashore.
9) tie dinghy to trailer including correct use of ratchet straps.
10) know which wire means what in the lighting board when all the lights do what they are not supposed to.
Lightning 418 "Octarine"
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 16 at 10:29pm
A trolly dolly? I don't think many trailer sailors could do half that.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 16 at 8:42am
Mine sacked herself when she appeared with a couple of pints for helm and crew only for us to sail back out to the start having fixed a problem. She just poured it down the drain and vowed never to do anything like that again.
Should have had the drink our race was awful I seem to remember.
Gordon
Lossc
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 16 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Er-Indoors

Having been entertained by "Caravanners" show tonight I'm thinking what should a good sailing Trolley Dolly be able to do...?
Here are my top 10:
1) reverse dinghy into small sailing club OR forward through the streets of Looe.
2) assist with rigging and prep of boat upon arrival after a 3 hour drive, including
be able to tie at least 5 different Useful knots and undo those tiny round metal things on the ends of shackle pins with numb hands.
3) know course, flags and start times and be able to inform Helm immediately.
4) be able to launch Helm's dinghy with water not going over top of wellies.
5) be able to find launching trolley on beach among 100 others.
6) recognise Helm's actual boat sail from a distance of 2 miles, even when all dinghies are in same class.
7) fix an issue with dinghy within 3 minutes (preferably with all kit needed in pocket) so helm can carry on racing.
8) have appropriate hot drink and snack ready for when helm comes ashore.
9) tie dinghy to trailer including correct use of ratchet straps.
10) know which wire means what in the lighting board when all the lights do what they are not supposed to.

I feel you may well be one in a million. Trolley dolly gold. You win hands down.
If I intimated that any of this is a requirement of the job to my wife, I would have to wear a cricket box on a permanent basis. I even get blamed for the weather.
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Er-Indoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 16 at 11:52am
I am however, not a great double handed sailor! ;-)

Lightning 418 "Octarine"
Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 16 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Er-Indoors

I am however, not a great double handed sailor! ;-)

Well there can't be that many ambidextrous sailors......  Wink

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 16 at 4:40pm
I vote for Nicky, the Hansa Liberty National champ's trolley dolly. Below is a link to the relevant page of her blog.

http://millieandme.net/herblog5/
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Er-Indoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 16 at 12:26pm
Great Blog!  Yes I had forgotten about Cake.  And Nessa usually manages to dress herself.  But many other familiar bits.  I may have met the blogger at the Euros in Rutland when I was there with Nessa and Alex Hovden!
Lightning 418 "Octarine"
 Post Reply Post Reply