FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New boats/old boats?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andyk View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote andyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New boats/old boats?
    Posted: 29 Feb 16 at 2:18pm
We are coming up to a large number of 'anniversarys', with many boats claiming all sorts of history.
Personally, I am very pleased that many of the boats of my youth are having a new lease of life....Fireball, 505, GP14 to name but three.
One boat that fully deserves every plaudit is the Firefly.
First designed in 1938, as the Swallow, though first built post war and re-named, it has a hugely important history. With the advent of a mass of new boats, all singing, all dancing, super fast, trendy, call them what you want, the Firefly struggled for a good few years, but like any item of true quality, it is now recognised for the superb design that it is.
At first glance, no third sail, very strict and quite ancient one design, no go fast goodies; why bother?
Have you ever sailed one? They are a revelation. Not over canvased, good weight carriers and for club racing, very well handicapped.
In light winds, they will leave an Enterprise standing, in strong winds, because they are only 12' in length, they are a very exciting ride, without killing the crew! Being round bilge they turn on a sixpence, and are a real challenge to sail well, but so, so, easy with it!
I have sailed for over 50yrs, and although I only owned a Firefly for a very short period, there is no doubt that it is by far my favourite two man boat. I really enjoyed sailing it.
I notice that there is a free draw with a new boat as a prize this year,to help to celebrate the 70th birthday of the design.
The Association suggest that you 'beg, borrow even temporarily steal' a boat and race it in a designated open meeting to qualify for the draw. They are absolutely right. If you have never sailed and raced a Firefly then there is a serious hole in your experience.

laser47 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 16 at 4:28pm
There are over 50 boats registered already for Tenby and turnout is expected to exceed 100 - not bad for a boat that's been holding national championships 70 years!

Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 16 at 5:06pm
Our Firefly is upside down in the garage waiting for decent varnishing weather. Trouble is, she has been sanded down too often in her 57 years, so wearing through the outer veneer now in places.

We won't be at the Nationals, but hope to go somewhere to help with the celebrations, as I've been sailing them for 41 years this year.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply