FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rule 19 question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Brass View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rule 19 question
    Posted: 06 Oct 15 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by flaming

Thank you Presuming Ed for the Diagram, that was exactly right.
I'm glad I'm not the only one finding this one a bit of a brain pain.  
As you may have guessed I was one of the spinnaker boats, yellow to be precise.  The situation developed faster than I, or I think the helm of the other boat, (which are both circa 40 foot yachts) appreciated.  I was concentrating on passing ahead of green, and only really became aware that there was a problem with the size of the gap when blue came closer than I was comfortable with hailing that they would need room to pass astern of red.  At this point I don't think it would have been possible for us to get behind green (where there was room in this case) in anything approaching a seamanlike way.  So we did both go through the gap, uncomfortably close together, which didn't endear us to green....  However the protest time limit has passed, seemingly without green wanting to spend time and effort in a complicated protest with two boats from a different class.  Can't say I overly blame him for that.  I am left wondering what would have happened in a protest though.  
So this was really one of those that I was trying to dissect afterwards, as opposed to being fully aware in the build up and making an active call.  But hopefully with an idea as to what to do if the situation occurs again, which is possible given the nature of solent racing.  So far though everyone seems as stumped as I am!  
There does seem, in general, to be a small problem with the rules when different "room" situations conflict.  See my previous effort here.  http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11141&title=which-takes-precedence-18-or-19

Sorry, haven't thought this through yet but does this rule change proposal help?
http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/17415RacingRulesofSailingRule19.1-[19546].pdf
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 15 at 5:27pm
Yes, a whole line of obstructions. At which point the solution is to go head to wind, sit in the bottom of the boat and cry, I believe.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 15 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Yes, a whole line of obstructions. At which point the solution is to go head to wind, sit in the bottom of the boat and cry, I believe.

Or say to yourself "£$%$"%$£% Cowes week. What a complete *^%^$%^$%^ of a regatta. I don't know why I @:LL@L:LK:%$%$ bother."
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 15 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by JimC

Silly of me to cross swords with you Brass, but the rule says unable to give room at the time the overlap began. It doesn't say anything about when the obstruction starts to exist. So you could say that at no time since the overlap started has it been possible to give water to get through a 10 ft wide (or whatever) gap, even if the 10ft wide gap didn't exist when the overlap started.

Its a bit logic chopping, but you also have to consider that gaps like that grow and shrink. It makes more sense to only consider the gap from the time the boats approach it, because otherwise, to extrapolate what you've said, the boats might even have to evaluate a gap (say between two boats that anchored up) that was out of sight when the overlap began and there's no way to say whether egg or hen came first...

And ultimately, the concept of the rule is that if you can give room you must, but if you cannot then you needn't, which is a thread through several rules and interpreting the gap as being when the boats approach it matches that concept...

You're welcome to cross swords with me any time.   That's what discussion is all about, unlike whatever it is some people have on SA.

I realize it's a welter of double negatives, but I think it's logically valid that if an obstruction does not exist at a point in time (when the running boats become overlapped), it cannot be said that one of those boats is unable to give the other room to pass the (nonexistent) obstruction, so the exclusion in rule 19.1( b ) does not apply.

It's becoming increasingly apparent that rule 19 doesn't deal well with obstructions that switch on and off, and move, but it's the rule we have to live with.

The rule does not consider whether the space available grows or shrinks, it directs us to consider a snapshot at the time the overlap began. It does not require us to consider anything about when boats are approaching the obstruction, regardless of what we may think makes sense.

The rule does not address what boats might need to evaluate, rather it indicates facts a protest committee would need to find to decide a protest.

As judges applying the rules, we shouldn't go searching after the concepts or intentions of the rules: we have to stick with the words of the rules.

And rule 19 certainly doesn't say 'if you can't give room you needn't.   It very specifically puts the test when the overlap began.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 15 at 7:08pm
My thinking was that
19.2b says, paraphrased, that if it were never possible for you to give room you needn't.
14a says, paraphrased, that if you can't avoid contact once its obvious the other boat is going to break a rule then you get exonerated.
18.2e says, paraphrased, if you can't give room to an inside boat you needn't

So there's a thread going through section B/C that in various circumstances if it is absolutely not possible for a ROW boat to give room then she is not required to.

But what do you make of the thought that as red is clear ahead of green, and therefore an obstruction to her as well as to blue and yellow, then as blue and yellow are overlapped with green then green is required to give blue and yellow room to pass the obstruction, but, presumably, not room to sail the course they would like?
Do you end up with something like this?

Edited by JimC - 06 Oct 15 at 7:40pm
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 15 at 11:42pm
Jim,

There's certainly a logic too that.

What I take away though is that if I were ever faced with a situation like this I would need to act early:

It's classic anticipation stuff.  

Take blue ahead of red.  Or if blue became overlapped from clear astern take blue up and then bear away to break the overlap.  Yellow could also try and create a situation where blue can't get ahead of green because of the angle of approach, and has to follwo yellow into a gybe.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 15 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by JimC

My thinking was that
19.2b says, paraphrased, that if it were never possible for you to give room you needn't.
14a says, paraphrased, that if you can't avoid contact once its obvious the other boat is going to break a rule then you get exonerated.
18.2e says, paraphrased, if you can't give room to an inside boat you needn't

So there's a thread going through section B/C that in various circumstances if it is absolutely not possible for a ROW boat to give room then she is not required to.

But what do you make of the thought that as red is clear ahead of green, and therefore an obstruction to her as well as to blue and yellow, then as blue and yellow are overlapped with green then green is required to give blue and yellow room to pass the obstruction, but, presumably, not room to sail the course they would like?
Do you end up with something like this?

So in the event of a valid protest Yellow relies on 18.2 (e)?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123