FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slot Gasket Glue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slot Gasket Glue
    Posted: 18 Jun 15 at 10:52pm
Double sided is only used where you have a metallic keel-band secured over the top of the gasket.
Woodburner View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 9:01am
Yep I spotted that on the wayfarer, but... There have been some big strides forward in adhesives, they get used in the outdoor sign industry and all sorts of applications, I found one that would do the job, but not worth mentioning here in this world of the impecunious. £59 for a role of double sided tape is enough to make even a big spending windsurfers eyes water.
gordon1277 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon1277 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 10:06am
Hi Lurch
If its for your Phantom, when you have stuck the slot gasket back on, get some mylar tape and tape over the edge of the gasket onto the hull. This should give you about 40mm of mylar tape on the hull but stop water trolly etc getting under the edge of the gasket.
Cheers
Gordon
Gordon
Lossc
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 15 at 10:51am
One part contact adhesive is rubbish. Two part is much, much better.

Sikkaflex (Or PU based adhesive of your choice - most motor factors do one that will be cheaper) is better still and if done properly will not come off. It's messy so mask out the area around the gasket edge with tape and newspaper and keep some acetone handy to clean up. Be generous with the glue and really force it out when you apply the mylar gasket.

If the gasket is done in one piece score the cut line off the boat then finish it afterwards. Doing the full cut before assembly makes life difficult.

Buzz View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 15 at 3:23pm
I have some slot gasket tape made by Hawk which is surplus to requirements. PM me if you are interested.
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 15 at 7:02pm
Sorry Buzz, just seen your message, but have already bought the tape and tried to attach it.

That Thixofix stuff is absolutely rubbish. I have no confidence that it will stay on for any length of time at all. Should have gone with Sikaflex which is what I suspect was on it for the first 8 years....
Woodburner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodburner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 15 at 10:58pm
I told you that.. #dinghysailorsneverlisten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12