FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suitable dinghy for a small lake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kneewrecker View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suitable dinghy for a small lake
    Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by maxinsis

If I think reasonably, it is probably better to get the boat that is the most raced at my local club - and improve by racing with the same start time. In my case, a Solo.

yes- go for it, a Solo will hold its value and you can make friends, have great racing and if you want something different or more exciting, get that in a season or two.

Is that South Cerney SC by any chance?
maxinsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxinsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by kneewrecker

If I think reasonably, it is probably better to get the boat that is the most raced at my local club - and improve by racing with the same start time. In my case, a Solo.

yes- go for it, a Solo will hold its value and you can make friends, have great racing and if you want something different or more exciting, get that in a season or two.

Is that South Cerney SC by any chance?

A little further East: Kingsmead SC

Edited by maxinsis - 21 Nov 14 at 12:54pm
Blue One View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 1:07pm
Must say I'm with the op about comets. Some of my best sailing friends own them, but I just don't like the way it sails, especially down wind.
I would suggest trying the lightning. Old ones are very competitive with new ones and you get much more for your money than old solos.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 1:52pm

Although I read a lot of bad things about it

More people get out of bed on a Sunday morning to race Solos than any other class except Lasers, so they must be giving enjoyment to a lot of people.

And when I look at what boats people who mock Solos are sailing themselves, well...
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 2:20pm
Have to say, if there are Solos, get a Solo. At least have a go in one before deciding on something else.

You can read a lot of bad things about any boat - no boat is perfect, and if the non-perfect things happen to be the things that some people care about, then they will make them bigger than they really are.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 14 at 6:01pm
I genuinely liked my Solo, the boat was solidly built (which was most welcome) and the rig excellent- despite the 'tin' mast/ or maybe because of it... not qualified to judge.  

It just worked though... up until the point carry 20kg too much body mass kicked in and I got left for dead, that was harsh  LOL

If I were 80kg I wouldn't have sold mine.
balladsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote balladsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 14 at 11:45am
Mark Hartley's Supernova is fabulous ...... And so is the Byte C2 in the background!
Great deals being offered at the moment ( see Supernova Class website)
rglew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rglew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 14 at 4:34pm
Streaker? I do a lot of sailing on a small inland lake with plenty of shifts as well and the streakers always do well on their PY in our handicap races.
maxinsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxinsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 14 at 4:47pm
I thank you once more for your input. This Sunday, I took a Solo out under the pouring rain and light wind. There were 4 other Solos and I do say the racing was tight and quite exciting - I finished last but was hanging close behind the pack. In the gusts, I was able to hike out - the boat was fun to sail and easy to tack. I believe I have found an answer to my questions...
Littleton Sailing Cl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Littleton Sailing Cl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 1:19pm
The solo was designed by Jack Holt to sail on just your sort of lake. It is possibly the most successful older class that is still thriving today. How many others can boast 100 new boats built every year. Yes you will need to pay more for a decent one, but your money will be well spent since they hold their value so well. The class also has a vibrant open meeting circuit throughout the country so if you want to travel you will never be far from a local regional open meeting.
Littleton Sailing Club
www.littletonsc.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12