FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hitting a mark having been hit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Reuben T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Reuben  T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitting a mark having been hit
    Posted: 25 Aug 14 at 10:28pm
Having watched the final race of the Extreme sailing series act I am unclear on why exactly J.P. Morgan were given a penalty. As far as I could see they tacked onto starboard more than three boat lengths from the windward mark, with a boat to windward of them they were unable to luff up to avoid T boning Alinghi (on port), and with The Wave Muscat (on Port) T boning them amidships so they couldn't bear away so they couldn't avoided the collision. As a result of stopping dead they hit the mark once they had got underway again. According to the commentary this was what the penalty was incurred for. I am probably looking in the wrong place in the rules but I can't find anything on hitting marks as a result of being hit. Was J.P.Morgan penalised unfairly? Or was the Umpires deception in line with the rules?
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 14 at 10:37pm
Given that BAR (JP Morgan) were moving, you could argue they had sufficient way to have avoided the mark. I suspect Ben took the gamble that by dragging the boat around the mark he could get going much quicker than the other two boats, do his penalty and still be well in front, which as it turned out he was. For me however, he had insufficient boat speed and made some tactical blunders, not least sailing downwind to leeward of all the leaders coming back up the course which let Alinghi come back at him.

What I dont understand is how Alinghi appears to have not completed a penalty and has still been given the result?
In the video and on the GPS tracks Alinghi undwinds around the windward mark but then completes no additional turns.
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 9:58am
2 rules can give exoneration for hitting a mark - rule 21 and 64.1a.

From your description - if a boat tacks on to starboard then is unable to avoid T boning another boat then a penalty for breaking rule 15 seems possible.

Do you have the link to the video?
Gordon
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 14 at 10:29am
Having now seen the video:

JP Morgan had completed her tack and given Alinghi and Muscat room to keep clear.

Muscat did not give Alinghi room at the mark (breaking 18.2) and did not give room to Alinghi to pass the obstructions (the boats coming in on starboard) Muscat also broke rule 10 (port and starboard).

Alinghi passed the wrong side of the mark (compelled by Muscat?), and broke rule 10.

JP Morgan having got clear of the other boats bore away and hoisted her gennaker. She then touched the mark when already on a reach. JP Morgan was not compelled to touch the mark by the action of a boat breaking a rule = penalty.

Looks like the umpires did a good job sorting that out.
Gordon
 Post Reply Post Reply