FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tut....again!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iiitick View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iiitick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tut....again!
    Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 8:47am
I see that 'our very own' Daniel Holman was forth in the International 14 Europeans an excellent result particularly as he seems to have sailed it single handed! There are no crew names listed, still I suppose the crews should feel lucky to be taken out for a ride.......

Not putting crew names is an affront and hard to believe in 2014. 

Who was your crew Mr Holman?
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 8:55am
Can't imagine winning anything without a decent crew, in an Alto, never mind a beast like a 14, in many ways I think they actually contribute more.

I've never liked that dinghy attitude of naming just the helm for the chocolates.
Time Lord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Time Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 9:50am
+1

Happy to agree with both comments.

Perhaps its a German thing as the write-up mentions the crew's name albeit just the first name so that we know that he/she was Chris.

Equally strange is the weird collection of letters for the names of their various sailing clubs - it would have been interesting to see where they came from but none of the tlas and flas are familiar.
Merlin Rocket 3609
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 12:15pm
Sailing clubs are where German snobs get one of their few opportunities to practice their art in an otherwise egalitarian country.

A disgrace, I agree, but maybe a reflection of the gap between the sailors and the organisers at a big, rich club.  "Yacht clubs" in UK are also more prone to credit the "owner".
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

"Yacht clubs" in UK are also more prone to credit the "owner".

To be fair, when it comes to leadmines it isn't all that practical to list ten or twenty crew, and the owner enters the boat, there's no requirement to have the same crew for every race, not even the helmsman.
kneewrecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kneewrecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Medway Maniac

"Yacht clubs" in UK are also more prone to credit the "owner".

as they should... the owner is the guy or girl funding and managing whatever the team result, even if s/he doesn't necessarily wiggle the stick themselves.  
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 2:45pm
That should please all the Oppie parents no end!
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 14 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by iiitick

I see that 'our very own' Daniel Holman was forth in the International 14 Europeans an excellent result particularly as he seems to have sailed it single handed! There are no crew names listed, still I suppose the crews should feel lucky to be taken out for a ride.......

Not putting crew names is an affront and hard to believe in 2014. 

Who was your crew Mr Holman?

So I did the regatta on Chris Rodway's boat, stepping in for his usual helm. So basically Chris owns the boat and carried me around the course doing little more than waggle a stick, and I get on the results!
Might have been because I entered.. Anyway, the SAP live tracking (still online, very interesting) has both sailor's names, full results may have too, just may have been some corner cutting on the report or some such.

Post Reply Post Reply