FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tapered Spinny Sheets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tapered Spinny Sheets
    Posted: 17 Jan 14 at 9:42am
I spliced my kite sheets together where they attach to the kite so I only have one knot, the effectively continuous piece of rope goes around the forestay much easier. I then put a simple link in the other middle of the sheets so I could get them on and off the boat.

Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
yellowwelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowwelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 14 at 10:22am
Originally posted by fab100

I tapered mine the other way, with the thin bit in the middle, tying the fatter ends together in the boat. Then splice  an extra bit of string into the centrepoint of the tapered part to give a short tail and bowline that to the asymmetric. Even if you do run the sheet across the forestay on a gybe, there is nothing to catch. Jobs a good 'un.

that.... although I just centred the sheet and took a couple of inches and spliced them together with some whipping twine.  Then larks head the cringle...  
NHRC View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NHRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 14 at 7:29pm
Hi

A quick tip

When you bury the cover in to the core you can wrap the tapered cover bury with white electrical tape so that the bits of cover don't poke through the core.

It gives a neat finish.
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 14 at 9:36pm
Topsail sheet bend. A classic knot - a variant of a figure of eight.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=_bBOxSx2YI_-jM&tbnid=ZDJ9553zqMkt7M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecheappages.com%2Fboat%2Fmatl%2Fknots.html&ei=l3iwU6nuIq2e7AahlYCABA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNFv0w1NztrBnqv-y5AaFxqr5kpVng&ust=1404160531475827

Gordon
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 14 at 1:51pm
I made some for the 200, similar to both Neptune & Fab100's, but

I pulled a 4" loop of the Dyneema core through the cover in the centre point of the rope, which I sewed & whipped in place. I also tapered 4" both ends, with a burnt overhand knot at the ends of the Dyneema.
The loop pokes through the clew then the whole length passes through the loop. The tapered ends tie neatly together in the boat with a small knot that doesn't jiggle undone.

I do like Neptunes loop & tie idea for the ends. Didn't think of that.
NHRC View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NHRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 14 at 9:55pm
Just incase anyone is interested in tapered sheets for their boat I have some excel on order and enough material to make a few more

Let me know the lengths and specifications...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12