FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

After Finishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
CurlyBen View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CurlyBen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After Finishing
    Posted: 15 Nov 05 at 8:02pm
All bar one of the oranised racing I've done has been tem racing with three or occasionally two minute starts - the normal pre race signals and flags are not one of my strongpoints! I know that you have no rights over a boat that is racing, but when two boats that are not racing meet whether they are under racing rules does make a differnence. When team racing we quite often chased oter boats down before the start (or at least tried to!) and how the rules apply can make a big difference there. The one minute bit was from the verbal SIs often given at the regattas I attended, and they did say the racing rules as opposed to the part 2 rules. I didn't think to check whereabouts that line came from, looking at it again it is obvious it only applies to part 2. I don't mean to sound difficult, but it helps to know I'm mis-interpreting rules!
damp_freddie View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote damp_freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 05 at 10:00pm
There is actually an example of this type of case given in my new rules book (in norwegian and english luckily)

To summarise, boats not racing are bound by the usual maritime safety regulations of the country or region.

A similar event happened, when the 'rules of the road' were not adhered to either. Howevr the committee found that they did not govern over , no police national laws and the protest was flung out - seems daft. No collisiion, just 'accidental' impedement.

If no one else can be bothered, I'll look it up if you ask- in the USA i think
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123