FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2013 racing rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 racing rules
    Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 1:38pm
I am sure they will take steps to clear that up. Whether it will stay clean after the Olympics is another matter!
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 1:35pm
Joking aside Rio has huge environmental problems. The sailing area contains a heady mixture of sewage and waste

pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Presuming Ed

55 TRASH DISPOSAL
A competitor shall not intentionally put trash in the water.

... I can see some problems here, especially in Rio when the first person to launch a laser gets protested out.  LOL
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 12 at 12:25pm
Given that whole containers of stuff (which rapidly becomes trash) falls off container ships, I'm not sure that a burnt match is going to make a lot of difference. I guess we have to do what we can, though.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 12 at 4:18pm
I sometimes wonder if archaeologists will be able to spot sailing clubs in a thousand years time by the layer of old shackle pins and PVC tape.

Mind you having said that PVC tape and many other plastics do disintegrate quite satisfactorily given enough UV exposure, which is why our dinghy parks aren't a foot deep in the stuff.
ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 12 at 3:01pm
I think its a great rule. Won't achieve much, but does start a conversation over environmental issues.

Can it be extended to cover race preparation ashore? I hate it when you see people ashore pulling old tape off shrouds, pins etc and then just chucking it. Crazy how some people assume this type of thing just disappears by magic.
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 12 at 1:28pm
Or if you intentionally neglect to attach water bottle, food bag or other items to the boat, then capsize leaving these items to drift away!
Gordon
x1testpilot View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote x1testpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 12 at 12:29pm
Chris seemed to think even trowing a dead match overboard could count - so smokers beware!
I like to take pictures of sailing, but I'd rather be sailing!
LCSC.org.uk
Xdinghies.com/ X0 & X1
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 7:07am
But ir's a good sign that this is all we can fiind to moan about...
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 6:24am
Originally posted by sargesail

Originally posted by Presuming Ed

Part 4 rules apply only to boats racing. However, rule 55 applies at all times when boats are on the water.

55 TRASH DISPOSAL
A competitor shall not intentionally put trash in the water.

My emphasis.  

And therefore while a capsize might lead to trash in the water it would not be punishable...nor presumably would your Mars Bar blowing away in a F6.

And come to that what about a defence that you were cleaning the wrapper before stuffing it in your PDF, and when the boat lurched on the wave I dropped it...

Intentaion is hard to prove (unless you're an offshore yacht caught dropping a bin bag in) (although even then - whoops we slipped at the stern locker and over it went.

Any rule which relies on intent has got to be tricky.

Indeed, and the bit about 'at all times when boats are on the water'
It doesn't even say that the competitor themselves must be afloat or on their boat at the time...
Saturday night, Cowes week, apres sail, drop an empty beer can off the quayside...
I can imagine a trash rule like that in motor racing. Lewis Hamilton being penalised 5 places on the grid because Nicole dropped a fag end out the window at the lights on Fulham high st...

Edited by Andymac - 26 Oct 12 at 6:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>