FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Helena Lucas gold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helena Lucas gold
    Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 10:14am
So, feeling that it is a shame that all we are discussing from the sailing is the penalty, I rather know something about the gold medal in the 2.4's.

Is this the first time that a gold medal has been won by a woman in an Open catagory in the Olympics or Paralympics? Anyone have the info up their sleeves, please?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 10:24am
good question! Awesome performance from her, that's a super-competitive fleet by all accounts
-_
Al
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 10:26am
No its not. Hélène de Pourtalès was part of a gold medal winning crew in 1900, and I have a feeling their might have been some other female crew members back in the very early days.

First singlehanded sailor though to my knowledge.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 7:19pm
Well done to her, IMO the icing on the cake of a great summer for team GBR, the <put-on> hand-ringing over the silvers "that could have been gold" is pretty poor stuff quite frankly, bloomin well done to the lot of 'em I say
 Post Reply Post Reply