FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ETNZ 72 foiling - 35+ knots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
blueboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ETNZ 72 foiling - 35+ knots
    Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Contender443

No but Jury boats do. So are we going to see them in helicopters or have several jury boats dotted around the course.

You don't see Jury boats motoring after the AC45s either and the experiment of putting umpires on jet skis has been quietly dropped.
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 5:42pm
The most boring fleet to watch was the ultra slow Star. I presume that getafix has managed to miss the AC 45s on his computer.

I found watching the Stars gripping. The AC45s at Plymouth were good spectator sport too, but a lot of that was about spectacular capsizes, near misses etc., whereas with the slower boats at the Olympics there's far more to see and appreciate about the tactics, strategy and just great sailing.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 12 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by stewart smith

There was no cats at the Olympics. The most boring fleet to watch was the ultra slow Star. I presume that getafix has managed to miss the AC 45s on his computer.

Nope, didn't miss the AC45's or the "extreme series" and I thought that was great stuff, really well shot and produced*.  I'm not sure what you mean by the Star racing being boring at the Olympics; it went down, litterally, to the last pump on the very last wave in a just-the-bow-fitting-overlap being the difference between gold and silver.... I'm damn sure that AC organisers will be quite willing to swap several limbs for that kind of racing in the next edition of the auld mug (you know, the kind of thing we saw in 12m's and IAAC boats and has been sadly lacking since).

*the problem, for me, in scaling up to 72's from the 45's is that you'll lose the inherent maneuouverability with the increase in length and loads and that effectively you'll be lucky if you don't get a half-ar$ed stand-off instead of a dial-up pre-start followed by a drag race to one side of the course and a v.boring procession round the rest of the race, barring mechanical or handling failures, given the first boat to round clear at the windward mark will extend so far (and fast) over the other, that the racing will basically be over, unless both boats round practically in each others pockets
Owenfackrell View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Owenfackrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 10:55am
ENTZ have relaesed a blog about capsize recovery after the oracle incident and they have stated that they only have one chase boat that can hope to keep up with the big cat due to them having to slow as the sea state and wind increase where as the cat the just takes off.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 12 at 1:30pm
That's a facinating and suprisingly open article
-_
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12