FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Para Olympic Fiasco

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
skiptim View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote skiptim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Para Olympic Fiasco
    Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 2:17pm
I have now heard it all this from the RYA:
http://www.rya.org.uk/london2012/news/Pages/OfficialstatementrelatingtoParalympicsGBSailingSonarclass.aspx
3 Olympic athletes denied a chance of a medal for the pride of a measurer - digusting
The international jury need to come back into the real world.
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 2:27pm
It is a shame- but it seems odd that you've joined purely to post this. Your wording too is odd- the "pride of a measurer"? The statement says nothing about that. What do you know that's not in there?
-_
Al
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 2:29pm
It's true, they all hate the British for being so successful, bring them down a peg or 2. Couldn't have had medals in all classes now could they
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 2:49pm
The discretionary penalty does seem rather harsh. In some ways it can be directly comparable to the Olympic Laser sailor who straightened the topmast section without first seeking authorisation... who received a discretionary penalty of zero.
Kev M View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 3:08pm
What's the betting that the final quote from the Bosun is some b**locks made up by a PR bod and what he actuall said was more along the lines of, "The measurer is a power crazed little b**tard who suffers from small-person syndrome.  If that prick had a flourescent jacket and a clipboard he'd have considered himself the 2nd coming of Christ. You wait til I see him in the bar later on."
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 4:32pm
I don't have the backgound for this , but am I right in thinking they have a no hauling out policy for the duration of the games for the Sonar? If so then cleaning off the boat when it was lifted for repairs could be an advantage not only for the next race but also the whole of the rest of the regatta. It is potentially performance changing. Very hard to see that a penalty was unjustified.

I also note that the GBR team got the Australians DSQ earlier on in what sounds like a fairly marginal port/starboard call. What goes around...

Edited by JimC - 06 Sep 12 at 4:49pm
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 5:59pm
http://www.sailing.org/paralympics/london2012/32145.php
Looks like there have been 4 attempts to reopen the hearing, all denied, so far....
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 6:54pm
Just read the protest document...
Facts found:
GBR asked for the measurer's permission to haul the Sonar to effect repairs to perceived damage to the bottom of the keel. GBR complied with the instructions at the time of haul-out as the measurer inspected the keel. The measurer provided consent for GBR to effect repairs to the bottom of the keel, as well as to three marks on the starboard side. The crew was present for the inspection and instructed their bosun to make the repairs.

Once the bosun completed the repairs he began to wipe the whole keel including the port side. The measurer made 3 requests for the bosun to stop wiping the keel, but he kept wiping. After second request to stop, the measurer explained that he might have to make a report if he did not stop. The bosun replied, "go ahead and make your report" and continued wiping. After the third request, the bosun explaining that he had to do his job and he continued wiping until he finished the job.

The measurer's opinion is that there was no performance advantage gained by wiping the keel.

Conclusion:
GBR complied with the application procedure to effect the repair under EIR 3.
GBR did not effect repairs beyond those permitted by the measurer under EIR 3.3.
The bosun failed to comply with the reasonable request by the measurer to stop wiping other areas of the keel, in breach of SI 3. The breach was deliberate. Mitigating circumstances are that GBR does not dispute any aspect of the measurer's report, and acknowledges that the bosun made an error of judgement.

Honestly: what was he thinking? He sounds like a Park Official in the Beano "more'n my jobsworth not to clean that keel properly".

If you want a real nightmare scenario consider what penalties should have been imposed if the measurer had not been nice and made the somewhat dubious statement that there was no performance advantage from cleaning the keel...

Edited by JimC - 06 Sep 12 at 6:56pm
Andymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by JimC

Just read the protest document...

So have I, and I take back my previous post...
Was the discretionary penalty harsh enough?
The Bosun's action could have resulted in no further participation in the event for the sailors.
What was he thinking? Or, what was he instructed to do by the crew?
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 12 at 11:08pm
I think Channel 4's coverage of the sailing can at best be described as a fiasco too.

Watched Channel 4's main coverage between around 1900 and 2200 tonight. Numerous updates about team GBs various successes today and not one mention by Clare and Ade of the sailors achievements. (I realise everything was achieved the day before but not aware of any coverage yesterday either.

Disgraceful. Shame on you Channel 4.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>