FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RYA Day Skipper October

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Firebird View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Firebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYA Day Skipper October
    Posted: 04 Sep 12 at 4:37pm
My husband and I are in the process of taking over responisbility and ownership of my parents' yacht and want to brush up on our (somewhat neglected) sail training asap. I have been thinking it would be a good idea to go abroad in October half term and he can do his Coastal Skipper(he has his theory for this and yachtmaster theory) and I can re do my Day Skipper( I did both the practical and theory 14 years ago). Last time I sat this we were living in Norway which had little tide and so we would prefer to be in tidal waters.Can anyone advise any sailing schools they might have experienced in an area which will still retain some warmth in the second week of October? Many thanks and all advice is appreciated.
Kind regards
Aileen 
stevegreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stevegreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 12 at 11:03am
Hi,  would it be an idea to go on your  yacht to get to know all about her and how she handles? I'm not sure where you are and the UK doesnt seem to be too cold other than at night these days. If you're interested in hiring a skipper to get you up to competent level I would be interested in talking to you. I work Freelance for Tall ships youth trust, Sunsail, am Yacht master commercially endorsed and Cruising Instructor have 14000 miles logged and teach Day skipper and comp crew but could organise a suitable course for you both to feel comfortable on the new boat. SteveGreen 07810 652093 
sg
ASok View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 8:11am
I would recommend the Solent. Yes, I know it will be cold and less glamorous than the Med, but it has challenging tides, navigation hazards, traffic and plenty of places to put in at night. A course there can be made as challenging as you require giving really good experience.

Unfortunately I can't recommend any sailing schools. I'm a bit out of touch with there at the minute.
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 12 at 8:38am
My parents did their dayskipper two weeks ago, based out of Largs (Clyde). They reckon the highest windspeed they were out in was 42knts... and they feel all the better for it
-_
Al
Unicorndream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Unicorndream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 12 at 11:25am
Hi. This  reply is probably too late as you mention you wanted to do a course in October (2 months ago!) but in case you didn't get it organised, my own situation is a little like yours. My wife wanted to get a Day Skipper Practical (Tidal) somewhere warm in the autumn & I looked at what was available. The UK is too cold & the Med. is non-tidal, so the next nearest spots with tidal conditions were Portugal, Gibralter, & the Canaries. We chose Portugal, where she went & had a great time.
 Post Reply Post Reply