FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Summing up ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
2547 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summing up ...
    Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 1:55pm
Just been watching the 470s on TV ....

Well now it's all over for GBR what are our thoughts on the event?

Here are mine:

- 5 medals for GBR, good team effort ahead of the public target of 4. I am sure they hoped for more but given the uncontrolable factors I think 5 is a great results
- Congratulations to AUS who done us in our own back yard
- Nothe course was poor and too fluky for events of this type
- TV coverage was excellent; commentary improved I thought. No mention of the joker in latter programmes so perhaps they read this?
- No GPS tracking was dissapointing
- We were lucky with the Weather
- Looked well organised and Weymouth put on a good show
- All bodes well for Rio; who will we see switch to kites?
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 2:29pm
Excellent results from an excellent team... got to be happy with that given the conditions and format.

I thought both Golds were well deserved from the antipodeans today, they won on the water fair and square and the Silvers are still monumental victories for the two British crews.  

Great racing to watch- biggest surprise personally was watching the Finns, loved it.  Want one, want somewhere local to sail against more of them.  And that isn't Anslieism.... JHC was totally inspiring to watch and there were other moments of brilliance that just captivated me throughout the coverage.    

Biggest disappointment... 49ers, DULL.  Made me realise I've been wrong about a lot when it comes to potential televised sailing... this was the first true test- 5 minutes on youtube is just not the same as watching an entire race like we've been lucky enough to have this time.  There's no spectacle in watching a skiff go fast, it doesn't hold your attention like a tactical race.

Biggest loser- match racing.... kicked out from Rio before they had a chance to shine.  For established sailors this has been great to watch imho.  With more time and an AC coming up, the format would really come into its own as technical, tactical piece of televised sailing for the genuine sailing audience.  

Still just about hanging on to still giving a crap.... RS:X.  Despite the great respect I have for both british athletes, watching them didn't make me want to reach for my board and go race.  Maybe if it were a slalom format it would be more relevant?  The only reason for caring is that I think kite racing will be even worse to watch and obviously I empathise with those who've followed a pathway only to have ISAF switch the torch off without due notice.  It deserves one more games.... but in truth come 2020 I couldn't give a fig if there wasn't a board discipline at all.  

Best moment- Sas giving Hannah a hug....  legends.  

Harshest moment - Goody's interview with Penny Clark.  He's a true athlete and I hope he bounces back into something else for Rio.  

To finish on a positive note - absolutely amazing supporting infrastructure from the Y&Y team.  Thank you Gael Mark (& Tom for snapping it all).... you enabled us all to engage and really enjoy it and that is genuinely appreciated by all of us.  Thank you so much for all your hard work!    Roll on Rio... 
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 2:34pm
Aye- it is important to remember that the 470 Silver were hugely ahead of the rest of the fleet, and only just behind the winners, who are class acts- no shame is losing out to them.
-_
Al
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 2:40pm
Well apart from the obvious annoyance that the convicts have bettered our gold haul, our guys have done us proud. As to the coverage, in all seriousness I consider us lucky to even be able to complain about the commentating t**sers, it's the best televised sailing I've ever witnessed and I've actually learned stuff from watching, got my pumping technique totally dialled, watching that downwind laser bear right off to clew first wave riding inspired to to heroics last night that I normally would push my luck at. Really annoyed a dentists appointment robbed me of the mens 470 and the wimmens start (I gather the Kiwis visit to the doctor paid off).

So summing up, I'm really going to miss having it to watch and have increased my respect of our guys (and theirs) a thousand fold, maybe some dinghy sailors aren't such t**sers after all, even though they could still learn a thing or to from the dusty old windsurf racers tactics book here and there. Wink

And +1 on 2547's more factual summing up.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 2:57pm
Great to be able to watch it, great to have feeds and Y&Y (and Stu) and good medal haul. Five medals is a(nother) good haul, but those who missed out will all probably be thinking "could have, should have".

Do you reckon the kiters will come from the existing world of kites or squaddie sailors switching over? I could imagine some 49er crews being tempted.
2547 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2547 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 3:03pm

I can't think of any regatta where competitors don't look back and think about lost opportunities.

I hope those who missed out can take posatives from their performances.

Clark comforting Mills was nice to see; Clark having missed out before knows how good a silver really is ...

Congratulations TeamGB ... now to restore our #1 position over AUS in Rio.

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Peaky

Do you reckon the kiters will come from the existing world of kites or squaddie sailors switching over? I could imagine some 49er crews being tempted.

It depends on definitions.... yes, I reckon they will have ktiesurfed before recreationally maybe.  Do I think the kities will come from the existing world of kiteboard racing?  No, except probably in the US where they can't get a pathway up the front drive, never mind to an Olympic sailing medal.  Some ex 29er crew called Johnny Heineken is suitably named and locked for the cool wall.  I'm sure he'll get his ass suitably schooled on what it really takes to make an Olympic champion in due course.  

From the UK.... watch out for the RS:X or Freestyly transitioners....  although there's one kid, Olly Bridge, who's likely to feature in the front runners for selection and is already an early days medal hopeful.  His mum being the 'bird option' apparently.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 3:18pm
Hopefully there will be less of a "they just have to turn up to win" attitude next time around from sections of the British press. I'm glad my prediction of 2 silvers and a bronze was wrong - from the first few days of sailing it looked about right, but then the sailors got their acts together a little as they settled into the routine.

Really hope some of the young teams stay together for the next games. And do you think Iain Percy kitesurfs?! Or will he move into AC sailing with Ben?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 3:23pm
Iain Percy was interviewed about his bird.... you know, the RS:X girlie, the fit one, yep her.  Same name as his sister... I bet that's awkward.  

apparently he couldn't even get off the beach on the RS:X

I think the AC might just be a bit more lucrative than a career as a Mary Poppins impersonator.  

Edited by pondmonkey - 10 Aug 12 at 3:25pm
j24_4208 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote j24_4208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 12 at 4:40am
I was a bit disappointed by the 470 silvers, probably like anyone else. The men made a valiant effort, but once AUS got ahead downwind, there was not much left to be done. The women I think  should have tacked after the start to go with NZL to the right side of the course, instead of going in the opposite direction - much better to be close and have the chance to overtake at the end, than take a flyer. I guess they could not quite tack because of another boat on their hip. Still, overall the team should be proud of the total results.
The Northe course did screw the GBR teams esp STAR, (almost Finn), 470M and 470W, and also the Elliot.

J24 4208
Laser 190300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>