FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The French accuse our cyclists of cheating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The French accuse our cyclists of cheating
    Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 2:01pm
I mean how dare they. They can buy the same wheels as us can't they?

This sort've think would never happen in sailing now would it?

49.9er?

This story will please Iain Percy, who always delights in telling me that the Star is the most one-design class in the Olympics, with the 49er and other classes being far more variable than we are led to believe. Iain and I generally agree to disagree on this point, but the comments of the Danish 49er crew today lend some weight to Percy’s point of view.

This is what Danish skipper Allan Norregaard had to say when asked about the runaway performance of Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen: “I don’t know what they found, but they definitely managed to get really good. They are sailing really nicely here and over the last two years. There is someone talking about that they have a little bit of different boat, the Australians, but I haven’t been measuring anything on it. That’s really bad if they have. It’s supposed to be a one design (class).”

On whether there can be much optimisation within that one design:
“Well, maybe if you are good friends with one of the boat-builders it seems like you can do a little bit but I haven’t seen this so I don’t know. If it’s true I think it’s bad for the class, but I hope it’s not too much.”

On whether the Australians and New Zealanders have been faster than the Danish boat in the same wind:
“Yes, they definitely had better speed than us.”

I spoke to someone who knows the 49er class very well, and he doesn’t believe the Aussies have any discernible equipment edge over the rest of the fleet. But while there is an almost perfect split in the 20-boat fleet between Ovington and Mackay hulls, the Aussies are using a hull built by Bethwaite Design.

Has that really been the difference between the Aussies and the rest of the fleet? I choose to believe not, but the Danish comments suggest they feel otherwise.

http://www.sailjuice.com/articles/Day-10-at-the-Olympic-Regatta-Insurance-Policy-Controversy#.UCJisc9wcoM

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 2:53pm
Interesting story. Presumably Bethwaite Design are a licensed builder? Putting aside the implication that that mould has been tweeked especially for the Aussies, - I wonder why no-one else got their boat from Bethwaite?
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 2:54pm
When it comes to the cycling wheels, Braislford, Boardman etc are all adamant that they are standard Mavic (french) product, identical to those used in Athens(!). The bags are just keeping them cleaner. There may have been a "lost in translation" moment involving Braislford claiming the wheels were "extra-round".

But the 49er thing- anyone care to officially call "shennanigans"?
-_
Al
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 3:37pm
Bethwaite Design are indeed a licensed builder, but AIUI traditionally the MacKay boats have been considered better.

Edited by JimC - 08 Aug 12 at 3:37pm
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 4:18pm
Spot the difference? Crack in the hull aft the daggerboard!

agh

Edited by SUGmeister - 08 Aug 12 at 4:19pm
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 8:49pm
I liked the story (today in the Times) that the cycling team put away all their special carbon kit after Bejing and used standard alloy stuff until now.  This allowed the other teams to think they'd caught up until now!  I think this means I have to enter the next Olympic trials in my 1963 Finn and only bring out the Devoti for Rio!  In fact, perhaps the squad should all sail in the CVRDA for the next 4 years!
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, GK29
Warsash
ellistine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Peaky

Interesting story. Presumably Bethwaite Design are a licensed builder? Putting aside the implication that that mould has been tweeked especially for the Aussies, - I wonder why no-one else got their boat from Bethwaite?
They wouldn't make them for anybody else - or so I heard.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by ellistine

Funny, says here http://bethwaite.com/shop/index.php/products/part_list/109 you can buy one on line...
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 11:47pm
AIUI, the UCI demands that all kit is commercially available. 
L123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 12 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by ellistine

Funny, says here http://bethwaite.com/shop/index.php/products/part_list/109 you can buy one on line...

Put your order in and then see what happens. 

I think this is a red herring they were clearly the best. But why cast a shadow by doing this, why not just buy an ovi?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>