FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medal Tally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medal Tally
    Posted: 07 Aug 12 at 11:14pm
Actually, I think they're jaded, it's work after all, day in day out, 'lock down' at Weymouth, do this, do that, whereas there is probably a degree of hunger amongst some of the others and dare I say it maybe they're still doing it for the enthusiasm, it's nothing to do with nationhood which country they come from, it's been my experience internationally, water and beach folk are pretty much all the same types.

There is no backwards or forwards at this level, it's mostly what's going on in your head, personally I wonder if they f**k with our guys heads at times,  some ex ping pong player telling me I might have a self belief problem or whatever it is he tells them.. That or they just plain wear them out with too much training, some it works for some it doesn't and you get injury, whatever, it doesn't matter to me I don't think any the less of them, they've given everything as have all the athletes and the dice rolled
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 1:07am
Well, the pecking order looked different in that lighter airs 49er medal race, with the Austrians revelling in conditions pretty much like they get at home (amazing how they've coped with the strong winds this week, actually).  What might the result have been if we'd had a F1-3 week?  No better for GB, at any rate, from the look of it.
rodney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rodney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 6:31am
All is not lost!   We have 1 gold and 2 silvers so far in sailing plus, by my calculations guaranteed medals in both the 470 classes with  a good chance of gold in each.

Let's all wave our multi-crossed, red, white and blue thingies for the mens' 470 today and the womens' 470 tomorrow  Smile

I'll certainly be watching the medal races!
Rodney Cobb
Suntouched Sailboats Limited
http://www.suntouched.co.uk
[EMAIL=rodney@suntouched.co.uk">rodney@suntouched.co.uk
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 6:58am

The 470s are both (barring DSQs) at least silver medals. The guys have a slightly tougher job than the ladies to get Gold, as they need a boat between them and the aussies.

I'll be, um, at work :(

-_
Al
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 7:56am
I think GBR have still done exceptionally well, we were just spoiled in 2008. However, I think it is noticeable that most of the GBR sailors sail their one class pretty much full time (with the exception of Ben and Ian doing a bit of big boat sailing). By contrast Nathan Outeridge and Tom Slingsby seem to hav been mucking around in Moths, A Class cats etc. I wonder if that keeps it more fun and relaxed, and ultimately less jading?
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 8:18am
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 8:40am
Not sure about what other sailing the rest of them do, but Stu Bithell won the pursuit race helming a Merlin Rocket at the Tiger Trophy this year, when he could presumably have been off somewhere hot and sunny training
-_
Al
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 8:46am
I wonder if the people who set these targets have the remotest idea of what it takes to earn medals.

Interesting to note sailing is one of the biggest recipients of funds according to that telegraph article, twenty two million plus goes behind our team, compared with £25m for Atheletics £26m for cycling (the standout achiever)27m for rowing and £25m for swimming which has under performed.

Edited by G.R.F. - 09 Aug 12 at 8:48am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 8:56am
Good point Al, and all credit to Stu.
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 8:59am
Originally posted by G.R.F.

I wonder if the people who set these targets have the remotest idea of what it takes to earn medals.
Interesting to note sailing is one of the biggest recipients of funds according to that telegraph article, twenty two million plus goes behind our team, compared with £25m for Atheletics £26m for cycling (the standout achiever)27m for rowing and £25m for swimming which has under performed.

I can understand the costs of sailing, rowing and cycling, but £25m for athletics? Are we using platinum coated tracksuits or something? How much are we paying for pumps?
This country!
*sighs*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>