FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gambling on sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
pondmonkey View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gambling on sailing
    Posted: 10 Jul 12 at 2:58pm
anyone know why the main gambling sites aren't listing the sailing?

I was hoping to make a quick buck on a few sure-wins this year, but it seems that there's no odds available.
r2d2 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote r2d2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 12 at 3:19pm
a chance for some enterprising forumite (not me) to open a book!
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 12 at 3:33pm
hmm, the problem is I wouldn't take a bet against the GB lot... that was kind of the point, I've never been in a bookies in my life, so this sounded like an ideal opportunity!!!!
r2d2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote r2d2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 12 at 4:21pm
not even if you could get say 10 to 1 on Outeridge & Jensen for the 49er?

its got to become 'intrestin' at some point
laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 12 at 9:32pm
bet365 said they were going to have it up... I haven'y checked though.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 12 at 9:42pm
The trouble with betting on sailing is that not too many mugs are liable to bet on it. Because of rule one of betting (the bookies always win) a knowledgeable would-be gambler who can predict the likely winners needs to have lots of mugs betting on likely losers, otherwise the odds will be appalling.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 8:29am
Long may it continue to be a gambling free sport. It seems that every sport where gambling takes place ends up corrupted by scandal. 
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
Peaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 8:58am
Most of the bookies will offer odds if you ask, even if they aren't published yet. The odds on ben getting a medal will be very short though - but still much better than a month's interest in the bank!

You could build quite a nice accumulator if you bet on every GBR sailor winning a medal of undetermined colour. The Radial and 49er would probably be the biggest risks, but they seem to be hitting form.
SUGmeister View Drop Down
Sailwave Moderators
Sailwave Moderators

Post Options Post Options   Quote SUGmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Rupert

Long may it continue to be a gambling free sport. It seems that every sport where gambling takes place ends up corrupted by scandal. 

Aren't the Ozzie 16 ft skiffs all about betting?
Simon SUGmeister
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 9:52am
I think NSW gambling laws have changed, so I think I'm out of date on this, but yes, the SKiffs were and maybe still are supported by gambling, but not in the way you think...

It was/is the case that Gaming machines - colloquially "Pokies" were only permitted at bona fide sports clubs. The Skiff clubs - traditionally working folk's places, not at all like we think of Yacht Clubs here, used to be one of the few places wehere you could play the machines, and the income from the machines was partly used to support the racing. So the gambling paid for the Skiffs, but not - at least not mainly - theough betting on the results.

There has been though, AIUI, a history of betting on the results of the 18 footer races.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>