FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy stuff in Poole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kev M View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy stuff in Poole
    Posted: 30 May 12 at 9:24am
I'm off to Poole on holiday next week, primarily wake boarding but it would be nice to try some dinghy sailing on salt water as I've only sailed on the reservoir before.  

Has anyone hired dinghies in Poole before?  The only places I can find with single handers for hire are using Picos (way to fat for that), all the good boats are double handers but I've nobody else to sail with.

One place has Topper Unos but they're not going to be any more fun than a Pico I'd have thought.

I'd also like to get some hikers soon and I hate buying that sort of thing online in case there's a problem or it doesn't fit.  Are there any decent dinghy chandleries in Poole where I can try some hikers out?
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
kingdacks View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingdacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 11:08am

Ok the best dinghy chandeleries are

Piplers of poole - on the quay
Force 4
quay west chandlery- they sell magic marine stuff mainly
Sometimes has good kit h20 watersports.  They also do boat hire i think
You could ask curra dinghy if they  cna supply you wiht a boat or you could go to a sailing school like Harbour challenge
hamworthy outdoor education
or Rockley watersports and ask if they can supply you a boat

Secondly Poole is the best place to sail in country  !

kingdacks View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingdacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 11:11am
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 11:34am
Rockley don't (or at least, didn't when i worked for them) do boat hire at all. This is normal for sailing schools- their insurance and more won't cover hire (unless they have specifically taken out insurance to do so). 
The Hobie centre does "demos" for potential customers- not hire.
-_
Al
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 11:38am
http://www.h2o-sports.co.uk/item.asp?P_ID=495&PT_ID=126&name=Equipment-Hire

for windsurf hire... Poole Harbour, it'd be rude not too, especially at lower tide states.
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 12 at 9:29pm
Poole's a great spot but if you're wakeboarding, make sure you stick to the water ski area.
We used to take motorboat and dinghy to waterski area then one or two would sail the dinghy in the gap between the waterski area and the shore whilst the others wakeboarded with the motorboat.

Kev M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kev M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 12 at 4:37pm
Cheers folks.  Looks like Pipers is the best   bet for some shopping and I might have to give sailing a miss this time and take my own dinghy in future.
Successfully confusing ambition with ability since 1980.
 Post Reply Post Reply