FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Youth AC - UK team?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jamesd View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Youth AC - UK team?
    Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 10:22am
Oh i didnt realise the youth AC was a professional event. 
I presumed as long as you met the criteria (age), represented a country and came up with the dollar you could put forward an entry, professional or not. much like nearly every other international sailing event in the world 

QUOTE=Quagers]The analogy only really works if tgruitt and his mates are playing football in the premier league. In which case getting pros in seems sensible![/QUOTE]
Quagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 10:48am
Ohh im sure that's true, but putting up the money requires sponsors (in 99.99% cases) and at the level this is at I'd be very surprised if the sailors aren't pros. Whatever the marketing bumf says the youth AC is going to be a pro event, just for younger pros. You cant give AC45's to a bunch of amateurs without a lot of carnage resulting.

Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 12:13pm
I sure I remember reading (in Bob Fisher's column?) that they were struggling to put a team together because all the dinghy squaddies were on the Olympic treadmill, and didn't want to know. It may well be that it is only the young yacht pro's who are interested in entering. I wish them all the best, and I'm sure they will be practicing on cats a lot. Skills are transferable.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Ralph T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ralph T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 1:39pm
I did not appreciate that the guys put the team together themselves. With the name Team GBR, I just assumed that they had been selected by a 'higher authority'.

A major part of sport consists of like minded people who form a team to compete, whatever their level, so it's not really fair to criticise them. If no-one else is prepared to go for it, then all credit to these six guys, finding sponsorship is so difficult these days.

Only time will tell if they are good enough so good luck to them & I for one will be cheering them on.

Rumour is that race officers are human like everyone else, but then .........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12