FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Youth AC - UK team?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pondscum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pondscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Youth AC - UK team?
    Posted: 23 May 12 at 9:19pm

The first Youth America’s Cup will be staged simultaneously in San Francisco during the running of the Louis Vuitton Cup challenger elimination trials in July and August 2013 to find the single challenger to the locally-based defender, Oracle.

In the youth event, there are 10 contestant places, with no more than one per country, and the crews must be between 19 and 23 and hold a passport of the country for which they are sailing. San Francisco would be able to enter its own team in addition to any U.S. team.

The races will be in the same 45-foot wing-powered catamarans that have been used in the America’s Cup World Series of regattas, one of which is currently underway in Venice, the number of crew will be increased from five to six, giving extra chances for women race alongside the men, and the costs are modest.

Apparently Ben Ainslie has first dibs at setting up a UK Team. I'm sure the RYA could provide some excellent team members ... any suggestions? The faster than wind sailors 49er and cat sailors like Chris Draper seem to be well suited..

Ralph T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ralph T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 13 at 1:52pm
It's great news to see that there will be a Team GBR entry, but I was quite surprised to see the make up of the team http://www.gbryouthac.com/

Nothing against the guys who have been chosen & I am sure that they are top class sailors, but the team is predominantly from the keel boat scene & only one has real multihull experience with another having high level match racing experience.

When the cup went over to multihull, the teams were mainly made up of very experienced keelboat sailors but with the advent of the AC45 & Extreme Sailing series, the value of having top class dinghy & multihull sailors in the team has proved to be very beneficial.

Am I missing something or is it just that the GBR youth team web site has chosen not to give us the full sailing background of the team?

Rumour is that race officers are human like everyone else, but then .........
Quagers View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 13 at 6:52pm
No it is very yachty focused, some of them have been active on the match racing circuit and most are involved in the Keelboat academy. Again nothing against the sailors themselves, I have raced against a lot of them. However it seems that the Solent mafia was very much at work with this squad, the organisers were from the keelboat scene so naturally they went for people that are known to them. This group has very much come from the 'traditional' professional (Farr 45, RC44, TP) pathways and definitely will all have known each other before this came together.

It may work, it may not, I would not be surprised to see them bringing some more multi-hull experience in as they progress.
alstorer View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 13 at 9:45pm
sigh- you'd have thought that a better approach would have taken a couple of them and mixed them with the brightest and best of this country's yoof multihullers. 
-_
Al
themeaningoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote themeaningoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 13 at 10:39pm
Or someone like Chris Rashley? I'm fairly sure he's 24, so within limit, and is Moth European Champion which is where a lot of the other AC45 guys are at the minute.
Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club
RS800 1128

kindly sponsored by RWO Marine
aardvark_issues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote aardvark_issues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 13 at 11:18pm
And he's got multihull experience...
Jamesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 9:50am
give them a break!
I think you will find they put the team together off their initiative, found the sponsors themselves etc.
A group of mates forming a team!
All very good sailors. 
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Jamesd

give them a break!
I think you will find they put the team together off their initiative, found the sponsors themselves etc.
All very good sailors. 

Me and my mates play football but it doesn't mean we're any good! Wink
Needs to sail more...
Jamesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 10:03am
Originally posted by tgruitt

Originally posted by Jamesd

give them a break!
All very good sailors. 

Me and my mates play football but it doesn't mean we're any good! Wink

Maybe you should scrap all the crap players and get pros in then!
........but then it defeats the point of you and your mates playing football!
Quagers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quagers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 13 at 10:05am
The analogy only really works if tgruitt and his mates are playing football in the premier league. In which case getting pros in seems sensible!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>