FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National sail letters ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National sail letters ...
    Posted: 21 May 12 at 6:46pm
To compete in open meetings even, you are supposed to be a member either of an affiliated club or to be a personal member of the RYA.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 12 at 7:31pm
Not just open meetings. 

75.1 To enter a race, a boat shall comply with the requirements of the organizing authority of the race. She shall be entered by
(a) a member of a club or other organization affiliated to an ISAF member national authority,
(b) such a club or organization, or
(c) a member of an ISAF member national authority

Anyway, all this GBR stuff is wrong, wrong, I tell you. Those of us in Blighty should have a good, honest K on the sail. Colonials should have KA and KC and things like that. 
pondmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 12 at 8:28pm
Well in pro-windsurfing they still do  Wink
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 12 at 10:14pm
ISAF is actually quite liberal on which national authority you represent. This can be the country of which you are a citizen, or thecountry of residence. However, to compete in aWorld or Olympic Championships one has to opt for a country and it then becomes more difficult to change.

As an example, many Northern Irish citizens opt to represent Ireland (not only in sailing). However, UK International race officials who retire to France remain GBR.

The K went when ISAF moved to 3 letters for the country. Looking forward to the day when SCO and CYM are in common usage.
Gordon
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 12 at 6:51am

of course if SCO and CYM become allowed, then I'd hope ENG would too. the delicate bit comes when you're a mixed crew, but then it is the boat that is entered...
-_
Al
gordon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 12 at 8:24am
I was assuming that without the Scots and the Welsh to run the country, England would dissolve in to chaos, and we would see the re-emergence of Wessex, Mercia, Northumbria etc.... Wink
Gordon
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 12 at 8:29am
hehe. I know more than a few who'd be quite happy with "KER" on their mainsail
-_
Al
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 12 at 8:36am
Originally posted by gordon

I was assuming that without the Scots and the Welsh to run the country, England would dissolve in to chaos, and we would see the re-emergence of Wessex, Mercia, Northumbria etc.... Wink

and without the English paying for the Celts then they won't be able to pay for any boats and they won't be any need for SCO & CYR on any sails anyway..... Wink

anyway Wales isn't a country, its a principality and therefore doesn't have any standing in the international world.... Wink
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 12 at 8:58am
Originally posted by maxibuddah

anyway Wales isn't a country, its a principality and therefore doesn't have any standing in the international world.... Wink
Your "therefore" is rather misplaced; Monaco, Lichtenstein and Andorra all being examples of internationally recognised independent principalities. As for Cornwall, which is a Duchy- well, there's Luxembourg.

Anyway, the current head of the Welsh Nationalists is a right-thinking Republican.

Edited by alstorer - 22 May 12 at 9:35am
-_
Al
L123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 12 at 9:10am
Originally posted by gordon

ISAF is actually quite liberal on which national authority you represent. This can be the country of which you are a citizen, or thecountry of residence. However, to compete in aWorld or Olympic Championships one has to opt for a country and it then becomes more difficult to change.

As an example, many Northern Irish citizens opt to represent Ireland (not only in sailing). However, UK International race officials who retire to France remain GBR.

The K went when ISAF moved to 3 letters for the country. Looking forward to the day when SCO and CYM are in common usage.

So for example could I as a British resident & citizen pay to join the Canadian Yachting Assocation then sail with CAN on my sail?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>